Healthcare PSAs and BSAs

8 Likes

Could be, not will be. And as we all know…won’t be.

Women, how do they work?

8 Likes

I am seething:

She was dating Andrew Wakefield at the time, to give you some idea. Refused all medical treatment (well, everything but the lumpectomy). Now heralding her remission as proof one doesn’t need conventional medicine to recover from cancer.

But here’s the thing: HER2-positive oestrogen receptive intraductal carcinoma. Translation: Stage 1, nearly 100% recovery rate. Just getting the lumpectomy was enough IN HER CASE. At least for now.

It’s like they’re both trying their best to kill as many people as possible.

15 Likes

WAKEFIELD!!

10 Likes
8 Likes

Hmm…

“Florida’s “free kill” law was implemented in 1990. The original intent behind the law was to prevent doctors from leaving Florida as a result of high insurance costs.”

Could there maybe be some sort of… correlation… between doctors who fuck up repeatedly and doctors with high insurance premiums?

10 Likes

Never heard of him.

Oh.

(Kudos to wikipedia for pulling no punches here.)

8 Likes

Wakefield is a very familiar name to all of us from the vaccine wars of the 90’s-aughts. He has, fortunately, sunk beneath notice for the most part since then. Not yet in hell where he belongs for the amount of death and suffering he has brought on, but I don’t have to speak his name on a daily basis anymore. Thank God for small miracles.

12 Likes

Just in case it might come up:

The 7-day version has 100 mg of the active ingredient. The 1-day version has 1,200 mg.

Like so many things, more is not necessarily better.

11 Likes
9 Likes
11 Likes

That’s good… they did that on my recent mammogram report, in fact.

9 Likes

I thought that was already the norm, but I’ve always had them done at teaching hospitals so maybe that’s why I made that assumption.

6 Likes

Mine have said dense breasts - but no one bothered to tell me what that meant.

5 Likes

Shot for food allergies

8 Likes

Not my field, and there are unquestionably subtleties i am not familiar with, but generally, denser breast tissue makes it harder to see changes associated with cancer. Sort of a warning for uncertainty.

8 Likes

Same here.

When that first showed up (in tiny print at the bottom of the form letter from the mammogram center) I asked my ob/gyn (who orders my mammogram every year) what that means in terms of what, if anything, she or I should be doing differently—ultrasound? MRI? other?—she kinda shrugged, asked me if I felt anything different on my self-examinations (“no”), and then said that maybe adding an ultrasound would be a good idea every few years, if I thought that made sense. I tried to get more info from the mammogram center, and they said talk to my ob/gyn. :roll_eyes: Ok then…

I’m generally not one for demanding ALL.THE.TESTS, but the lack of guidance is frustrating. I suspect some of it has to do with what insurance will pay for, and so far Blue Cross hasn’t balked at adding an ultrasound every other year. Because I think I’m fairly low risk otherwise, settling for that plan is ok for now, but it also doesn’t exactly inspire a lot of confidence.

9 Likes

This is exactly right. I do, unfortunately, have hard-won knowledge in this area. Dense tissue makes it harder to read the scans to see if there’s cancer brewing, and apparently there’s some indications that dense tissue is more likely to be the site of cancer beginnings as well.

8 Likes

“As the report suggests, the Dobbs decision – the effects of which have yet to be fully realized – is likely playing a major role in the already shrinking ob-gyn workforce in many rural areas of the country,” Dr. Stella Dantas, president of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, said in a statement.

Not that this is news, but it is good to see ACOG laying it on the line. Now we see if it registers…

11 Likes

To paraphrase many in this thread, the profit motive in healthcare is ruining U.S. healthcare. And politics / political policy over ethics is bad.

Dr. Eric Reinhart blows the whistle:

Oh man I hear him on this one. He’s spot-on.

His 2023 NY Times article, calling out the power structures and advocate for unionizing doctors:
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/05/opinion/doctors-universal-health-care.html

117,000 doctors quit in 2021

Are U.S.ians facing an ongoing healthcare shortage, made worse by the COVID pandemic? Yes. Will this get any better? Not without a revolution in healthcare, politics and more…

12 Likes