Healthcare PSAs and BSAs

10 Likes

Free archive link:

10 Likes

:interrobang:

:thinking:

7 Likes

Well, this sounds like good advice at face value

According to the Guinness World Records website, Branyas believed her longevity stemmed from ā€œorder, tranquility, good connection with family and friends, contact with nature, emotional stability, no worries, no regrets, lots of positivity and staying away from toxic peopleā€.

On the other hand,

"Merely because you have survived smoking 60 a day doesnā€™t mean that smoking 60 a day is good for you,ā€ Faragher said.

Anecdotes do not equal data, but can be a starting point. I suspect genetic weirdness is at the root of a lot of it.

8 Likes
10 Likes

Seems like itā€™s only going to get worse, with the toxic combo of ā€œpublish or perishā€ work conditions and generative AI. :sweat:

8 Likes
8 Likes

The three inks were sold nationwide through Amazon. To date, there have been no reported infections or adverse reactions linked to these inks. But the FDA notes that reactions to contaminated inks can be difficult to accurately diagnose. The infections and skin responses can look like generic rashes and allergic responses, sometimes including lesions with red papules in areas where the ink was injected, the FDA notes. However, infections from tattoo ink can leave permanent scarring.

I posted a while back about unreliable manufacturing standards for tattoo inks. I remain concerned that this is a largely unregulated industry, with serious potential for harm. But thatā€™s just me.

12 Likes

Sadly, I donā€™t think itā€™s unfoundedā€¦ and tattoos are more popular than theyā€™ve ever been before. This industry should be regulatedā€¦ same with piercingsā€¦ but for so long, tats and piercings were such a marginal, subcultural thing, that it was easier to self-regulate. But now, I see people with tats and things like plugs (and facial piercings, etc) on a daily basis.

7 Likes

At the same time, ā€œour data suggest that across this time period, moderate coffee consumption can serve as some kind of protective factor against cognitive decline,ā€ she added.

For tea, there was a somewhat different pattern. People who never drank tea had a greater decline in fluid intelligence compared with those who had moderate consumption (beta = 0.06; SE = 0.02; P= .0090) or high consumption (beta = 0.06; SE = 0.02; P = .003).

9 Likes

Pushing the limits of human heat tolerance, maybe not practice? Itā€™s not wimpy to protect kids from themselves. They will try to please the coaches even if it kills them. Our job as adults is to not make them do that!

13 Likes

Do away with tackle football all together. So many dead and permanently damaged young people :sob: even without the idiocy of practicing in heavy pads in extreme heat

I havenā€™t seen the local HS football team practicing in the afternoons here. Which is good because itā€™s been over 100 for 2 weeks with significant humidity. I hope they are keeping the players indoors lifting weights or in a gym. The local schools havenā€™t had the gym classes outdoors either. Elementary recess has been out doors any day itā€™s under 100 but they limit the kids to 20 minutes and the shaded playgrounds. Then they all troop inside with their water bottles to get ice water

11 Likes

Yes!

Iā€™ve long thought so, because that game is a magnet for some of the worst parts of toxic US masculinity.

ā€œSo, how do you think the [Team Whatver] is looking this year?ā€

ā€œI. Donā€™t. Care. Who wants to watch a bunch of men inflict lifelong injuries on each other? Sociopaths, thatā€™s who.ā€

7 Likes

The worst performer was the United States, despite spending the most on healthcare compared to any other OECD nation.

12 Likes

Oh My God Reaction GIF

12 Likes

Maybe thereā€™s something sub optimal about our healthcare system?

No - thatā€™s not possible!

11 Likes

laugh cry GIF

8 Likes

Vindication!

14 Likes

Fall Back Fran Healy GIF by Travis

8 Likes

cb48c077-0d21-4da2-9bb2-7056dc2ccb55_text

8 Likes