Heavy duty disposable nitrile gloves for working on my car, bus or bike

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/09/heavy-duty-disposable-nitrile.html

I regularly use the thinner 6 mil nitrile gloves and they are great except for when the finger or palm rips out unexpectedly right in the middle of a job. I might try these thicker ones instead.

One thing I don’t like about these is how incredibly sweaty my hands get inside so glove changes usually require a hand wash and complete air dry. The black ones also heat up very quickly while working in the direct sun. Feels like I’m putting them under a heat lamp.

4 Likes

Oh sure, suggest these things two weeks after the backordered 5 mil gloves Mark recommended finally arrived on my doorstep.

nitrile gloves are also great for any work or play that might involve body fluids. They’re hypoallergenic and can be used with oil-based, silicone-based and water-based lubes. I keep a couple of pair in my daily carry in addition to next to the bed, though those tend to be used more often for dumpster diving or public art projects than sexytimes.

4 Likes

This. The sweaty drip.

Are layers important at all? Or only thickness? The OP are 8 mil, these are two layer 6 mil gloves:

I’m looking for an upgrade over the Costco Exam gloves, which are relatively cheap at $22 for 400, but are 3.8 mil and bit too delicate, ripping at inopportune times. Also, I’m wondering if the black gloves are too pretentious after seeing presenters on “The King of Random” wearing them all the time even when they are ignorantly modding a 15 amp extension cord with a 3 amp in-line switch and not using chemicals of any kind.

Glove snap!
image https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/TheRockyHorrorPictureShow

Where I work one contract requires that cars sent for storage before going for auction are debowsed if they have more than a quarter tank of fuel, so a couple of guys spend the best part of a day working on twenty or thirty cars, and they wear these heavy duty gloves.
Very good they are too, a lot more robust than regular nitrile gloves, which can rip within a couple of minutes.
I’ve got a handful in my car in the event of a mechanical or tyre change. Good for gardening duties as well.
As far as sweaty hands are concerned, I can’t help thinking that’s a very minor consideration compared to oil and chemicals that can cause dermatitis or inflammation or cause cuts to become infected…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.