Heavy metal guitar accompanies Arizona preacher speaking in tongues at a church service

Originally published at: Heavy metal guitar accompanies Arizona preacher speaking in tongues at a church service | Boing Boing

1 Like

That’s practically the same act as Paula White. :man_shrugging:

Snl I Suck GIF by Saturday Night Live

8 Likes

Now I’m wondering if you were to get up on stage and read out torah portions in Hebrew in the same vocal style, if anyone in the crowd would know the difference.

6 Likes

Even in my fundie bible church upbringing, we found this type of stuff to be weird.

Perennial reminder that linguists have determined that “speaking in tongues” uses sounds familiar to the speaker’s native language. They just babble on incoherently using phonemes they already know.

Whereas biblically, speaking in tongues meant people would actually be speaking a real language and there would be someone who spoke that language who understood them. It was basically supposed to be a miracle for the purpose of evangelizing like a universal translator. If nobody understands it, it’s not communication.

13 Likes

I love how she spews the fake mumbo jumbo all the while checking her notes diligently. Perhaps checking her grocery list for evil phallic shaped vegetables or hot beach vacation pictures of Ted Cruz?

6 Likes

Must be standard practice…

3 Likes

Ooooooooooooh Ewwwwwwwwwwwchukachuuka … “Don’t forget to pick up the kids from school”… Uuuuuuooohhh ahhhhhhh…

7 Likes
4 Likes

obvious Slayer rip off.

2 Likes

This guy is a genius.
That reggae part was fucking dope, BTW.

3 Likes

It’s utterly amazing how, once the Church stopped doing the “Baptism and a new shirt, or death” thing, the whole speaking in tongues just stopped working. Almost as if there was some sort of coercion going on there, or that maybe if the first few who said “no” were killed brutally and publicly the rest would get the message no matter what was being said.

1 Like

Speaking of Paula White -

4 Likes

It reminds me of Front 242–In the name of Jesus

4 Likes

Oh, some Dadaist poetry.
Since we were talking Talking Heads yesterday:

1 Like

On top of the hilarity, that musician is seriously talented. That got grooving.

Seriously. Head boppin.

1 Like

I’m not too surprised by the deceiving (and self-deceiving) pastors, but I’m endlessly surprised at how many people they can deceive so consistently.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.