Hello, Dolly... and goodbye, Bob's Big Boy?!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/08/hello-dolly-and-goodbye-b.html

2 Likes

Okay. Gotta be strong here. Gotta actively not search on DeviantArt for “Dolly” fan-art. I know it’ll only lead to fetish trouble. Gotta be strong here.

10 Likes

Try “Big Boy Dolly” :smiley:

11 Likes

u/Pensketch, YOU ARE NOT HELPING.

11 Likes

You’re right. My mistake. Try “Adventures of Big Boy Dolly”.

8 Likes

16 Likes

Thoughts and prayers

(big dolly’s adventures?)

1 Like

Most people don’t realize there are two Big Boy chains:

Frisch’s snagged a $1/year franchise license back in the 40’s. Otherwise the two are effectively independent.

5 Likes

For lots of 4-8-8-4 action?
https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/4014/

2 Likes

More than that even. There were at least two Elias Brother’s Big Boy restaurants in my hometown. When traveling, “Bob’s” always threw me off as a kid.

Factoid: I have a lifetime ban from Big Boy eateries from a childhood “incident”; though it may only applies to Elias Brother chains. I believe that was the last time my father offered to take seven kids out for a meal by himself.

6 Likes

I am from Michigan and Elias Brothers Big Boy is still in my head.
From the Wiki "After Bob’s, the four original franchisees (in order) were Frisch’s, Eat’n Park, Shoney’s (originally called “Parkette”) and Elias Brothers, all clustered near the state of Ohio. All, including Bob’s, remain in operation today, albeit Elias Brothers is simply known as Big Boy, and Eat’n Park and Shoney’s dropped Big Boy affiliation in the 1970s and 1980s. "

4 Likes

The franchise history of Big Boy is very weird. I know the local Big Boy franchise, previously Manner’s Big Boy, but now consolidated under the main Big Boy name, uses Frisch style artwork because their franchise broke off from that, but uses a separate burger sauce recipe than the rest of the chain.

4 Likes

I didn’t even know there were still any Big Boys in existence! I’m rarely in the regions where they are, so I’ll have to keep an eye out for 'em.

1 Like

In Pennsylvania, there were several Big Boy’s with a chain name like . . . Abdul’s? Abed’s?

How is this for weird:

THERE WERE ALSO TWO BIG BOY CHARACTERS. THEY MADE TWO VERSIONS OF EACH COMIC.

9 Likes

A brunette and a redhead. That’s the 50s version of representation.

10 Likes

combined with the Popeye’s playbook. They’re really reaching with the giveaways to make sure their lines are crazy for this chicken sandwich. Sell the sizzle.

2 Likes

The checkered one is called the western Big Boy and was used by Bob’s Big Boy. The striped one is sometimes called the eastern Big Boy and was introduced by Frisch’s Big Boy. Obviously they shared in the comic creations and localized them a bit.

Edit: another difference is one is often pictured standing, the other as running.

3 Likes

? In the middle of a pandemic, they’re encouraging a crowd of people to show up in order to get free chicken sandwiches for the rest of the year? Maybe they’re thinking that some of those people won’t live to partake of the freebies.

3 Likes

In Cuyahoga Falls, OH, there was a Big Boy’s with some classic 60s decor and the ubiquitous statue in front; I ate there a few times growing up (that was when there was a Monkey Ward’s nearby, where my parents occasionally shopped.) In Athens OH the franchise was a Frisch’s.

2 Likes

I always think of David Lynch losing himself in a Big Boy milkshake. Would love to see him design an avatar for them.

1 Like