Henry Cavill to star in Highlander reboot

I’m more of a series fan than a movie fan; I saw the show first, and while it could be uneven in quality (do not remind me of “Richard Redstone” or Ahriman), it could often be very good. Especially when Methos was around…

tumblr_nrsn6mfuP41ubo4j7o5_500

I’m not optimistic about the reboot. It’s been in development hell for quite a few years, which is rarely a good sign, and I can’t say I’m crazy about Cavill as either Connor or Duncan. (Somebody on Twitter suggested Tom Ellis, and I’ve gotta say, I’d love that.)

Hopefully I’m wrong, and it will turn out to be a worthy addition to the franchise. But I wouldn’t bet on it, at least not without knowing more about what they’re planning to do.

9 Likes

Never seen the show, but that name stirs up weird images of some guy with meth instead of Mentos overcoming the odds against his foes.

5 Likes

3 Likes

From what I’ve read the following piques my interest.
This casting, directed by the guy who did John wick, queen music will be used and they are aiming for a big multi film story.

3 Likes

Is Clancy Brown quite possibly the scariest actor ever? Not just in Highlander, but his pastor in ‘Carnivale’ is terrifying.

Just a shame they altered his voice out of all recognition in ‘Thor Ragnarök’ because he would have made a seat-soilingly scary Surtr without any jiggers-pokers by the sound people.

3 Likes

Yes, but will it be a gritty reboot?

4 Likes

I would pay to see that!

Ice Hockey Dancing GIF by NHL

8 Likes

You mean the Green Knight right?

7 Likes

Is that where there is one Jaws, one Matrix, one RoboCop? OK, maybe two Indiana Jones and two Die Hard films.

How do I get there, @RadioSilence ?
I am stuck with this:

23 % of more that 50k are not OK.
Well, OTH, this is the internet, so contrarianism is a given.

That said, I had just someone from my family asking me what movies I would recommend so they could “like” them on Netflix to get better suggestions.

And I blanked.

Tom Ellis as a Highlander?

I could get into it…

4 Likes

That’s not all he does, either. Check out Promising Young Woman and Female Perversions. (He’s great fun in Cast a Deadly Spell, too.)

2 Likes

If they use True Scotsmen, I can think of many who might fit the bill.

Ewan McGregor, James McAvoy, David Tennant, Robert Carlyle, Billy Boyd…but what about a woman? A woman who learned to fight over time, with help from Cervantes, and doled out her Quickening punishment in a guerrilla fashion?

6 Likes

And yes, flipping the script so that ‘the One’ is a woman is also a narrative I could get into…

5 Likes
3 Likes

Ok - I’ve been thinking about this and resisting expanding on this aside but I decided to pander to my inability to let this go.

So I am trying to fathom the tenuous relationship between Highlander Cavil and The Egyptian Dench. And this is all I got.

1. Henry is playing the Highlander in the new Highlander movie.
  2. Connery played the Egyptian in the original Highlander movie.
  3. Connery also played 007.
  4. In the recent 007 movies Dench played 007s boss.
  5. So naturally Dench Egyptian.

Is that it? Am I missing some degree of Kevin Highlander Bacon here?

and how about that Joan Jett - huh?

1 Like

Joan Jett, Sheena Easton, Roger Daltrey, the singer from Fine Young Cannibals… lots of musicians found their way into the series! :grin:

3 Likes

Roland Gift - yes! I think that was when the series was in Paris

2 Likes

Roger Daltrey was great fun. I (think) he was the only one that became a recurring guest star.

1 Like

Speaking of meth, just don’t drop Mentos into the coke.

2 Likes