Here are the 5 kinds of pandemic villains who are making things worse for the rest of us

1. Terrorists
12 Likes

Almost. Palmerston North. My partner is at Trentham camp in Upper Hutt. :wave:

6 Likes

Huh, that’s a coinky dink. I’m at TMC. Well … was. Currently at home :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I spent 4 yrs in Palmy, attending Massey.

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

7 Likes

“Sportsball” is the new version of the old smugness, “Oh, I don’t own a TV,” from back in the day.

5 Likes

All very true, but how do we fix people like this? That’s the question I’ve been asking myself since 2016. How do you fix assholes? They’re immune to reason and facts. They have no shame or morals. They can’t learn from their mistakes or even admit that they made mistakes. We need them to change in order to make any kind of progress on anything, ever, because there are so damn many of them. I’d like to do something positive, something that would make a difference, but it feels like the only thing I can do is quite the opposite: just hope that their denial and stupidity makes them more likely to catch the virus and die off in droves. It’s not a good feeling.

21 Likes

100000% agreed, my thoughts to the T man

Bit stiff on Prince Charles there. It is standard protocol for all the royals to move to distant locations from each other in times of crisis. Usually to avoid them all being bombed at once; this time to ensure they don’t spread the virus among themselves.

8 Likes

Trading games! So for example, you’d have them get Cash App, and then go through nice demo contracts under the influence of whimsically funded things, like ‘people are gonna get the flu and act like zombies,’ and then they hoard X or buy puts on a commodity at higher prices, and they get some kind of feedback like a giant loss when nobody is buying bullets at 400% premium the next week/month/year; and a way in the contract to admit privately, and 5 other ways, that the guidance was not indicative of their action to lose less. Lather, relax constraints, rinse, repeat.

That ought to help with washing hands with 1/10 the bottle of soap analog too.

It looks like TMS (targeted magnetic stimulation of the brain) over a medium-10s (50, but one hopes less s.t. time allows) series of foci would do well too, but there’s also benching people’s brains for proper sociopathy in an MRI to contend with (to have foci to feed TMS.) Meanwhile I guess there’s wrangling social skills into neighboring peeps one gruntlement at a time?

1 Like

Santa Claus ain’t the only one making a list.

4 Likes

Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-GA), who sold stock before the crash and “bought between $100,000 and $250,000 in shares of Citrix, a company whose software facilitates remote work.”

In her defense, Citrix is absolute garbage.

As her constituent, I’d argue that there is no defense for insider trading… doubly so, since she was not elected.

12 Likes

You don’t get how many people completely tune you out when you say “sportsball”.
I can’t imagine the nerd-cred is worth it.

5 Likes

A recent episode of “Behind the Bastards” podcast focused on pandemic grifters.

1 Like

Until some event happens that bounces them around the map.

eventdeck17-1

3 Likes

Bit harsh to put the fearful in the deniers group.

Mic drop!

2 Likes

Gawd, I played the shit outta that game back in the day.

2 Likes

This is probably the most pressing question of our timeline. The answer used to be to outvote them, but they fixed the game so money wins and gives them power. It won’t fix assholes, but fixing the rules will go a long way to confining the damage they can do.

Corporations are not people.
Capitalism must be regulated in the interests of the people not the owners.
Money must not buy votes.
Religion must be removed from public life; a truly secular state.

Oh, and proper education, education, education - from the first day they enter school, and a civics exam should be a pre-requisite for graduating.

Yes, I know some of that sounds like it could be a bit authoritarian-y and indoctrination-y, but whose authority and indoctrination do you want? Because you’re going to get somebody’s, whatever happens.

18 Likes

Frankly I don’t consider

• Attorney Scott A. McMillan: “The fundamental problem is whether we are going to tank the entire economy to save 2.5% of the population which is (1) generally expensive to maintain, and (2) not productive.”

to be merely deniers, these people are flat out pro-mass murder in the name of profit.

15 Likes