Here is the trailer for Clerks 3, a downright meta-comedy

As much as I loved Clerks and generally liked Clerks 2, I just can’t honestly say that I am very excited for this sequel.

2 Likes

Watched the trailer a bit ago… it’s gonna be incredibly meta, it seems.

2 Likes

This might be self-aware to the point of obnoxiousness, but it’s going to be fun and funny along the way. I’m absolutely going to see it. Even if it’s just one time.

I’ll see anything Kevin Smith, though. My brother brought home a rental preview VHS copy of Mallrats when I was a young teen, and it hit at just the right time for me. For a while, for better or for (likely) worse it influenced my sense of humor, and I’ll never get Smith out of my system.

4 Likes

clerks-clerks2

4 Likes

Still, to this day, umpteen years later, I will find myself humming, “Schmokin weed, doin coke, drinkin beers, noinch noinch noinch…”

I’m not a well man.

4 Likes

The most obscure pull (for me) was the bit where Dante’s like “I’m not letting you kill me off in the third act.” In the original Clerks, there was a scene at the end where Dante gets shot & killed. Thankfully, this never made it into the actual movie.

Because, y’know, sequels.

3 Likes

Agreed. I dabbled in the View Askewniverse for a long time back in the day and all the in-jokes in this trailer tickle me.

Mallrats was my first KS film and still remains my favorite. Snootchie Bootchies!

2 Likes

Right! Deep cut!

3 Likes

Same here. I saw it at a friends house in middle school.

I really wish the animated series didn’t get prematurely cancelled.

3 Likes

Saw Clerks in the theater. It was the only other film besides Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life where I recall people leaving the theater well before they end. I loved both of them.

3 Likes

Is the View Askewniverse the first cinematic universe?

bear driving GIF

:thinking:

I’m going with Star Trek beating them to it with films and the revival on TV with TNG.

1 Like

I think Star Wars probably beat them too with the Holiday Special and Ewoks movies.

2 Likes

What year did the Holiday special come out? The first ST film was 79, right? OH! Let’s not forget the 1970s Star Trek animated series, too, which I think came out even before the first Star Wars film.

1 Like

Now you’ve brought up something that has me curious. Do the Star Trek films count as a cinematic universe before TNG? The animated series and movies feature the same characters as the OG series. I am genuinely curious where the line between sequels and cinematic universe is. Because while they focus on the same characters they do significantly expand the ST universe.

1 Like

True, but to be fair, they do expand the characters a bit in the animated series…

Yep… so… yes? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: And do we included comics and books, as both ST and SW both had comics and books, too. I guess not if you’re saying “cinematic” but the whole idea of an expanded universe originally comes from genre fiction of the written variety…

I’d argue that Smith was probably influenced by comics, with regards to large, interconnected universes.

2 Likes

He does own a comic book shop and comics play a significant role in many of his films, so you’re most likely correct. Comics and books might count, at least these days, just look at the universe SW is creating. Books, comics, video games, movies and TV shows are all part of the official canon.

3 Likes

And he sold his collection to make the original clerks, too! they better make that a plot point in this one, or I’m going to write a letter. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :smile: It will be sternly worded and mention continuity at least once!

I think that’s one thing that’s changed - I think it used to be that people debated whether or not books/comics were canon in ST/SW, but I think they’ve been doing things like included stuff from them in films now…

1 Like

The original Universal monster movies?

3 Likes

Maybe? How many cross-over films were there? Was it self-consciously constructed as a single universe?

hairy b&w GIF

Sorry… too many questions… also, wrong thread! :smile:

3 Likes