Here's the "Gray Rock" method for making narcissists go away

Originally published at: Here's the "Gray Rock" method for making narcissists go away | Boing Boing

11 Likes

41 Likes

This is how I always deal with everyone.

47 Likes

I have found, through scientificly research, that a hearty “Fuck Off” works wonders on them.

Follow me for other life tips.

31 Likes

Timely advice.
Thanks for this

11 Likes

Fuck off! :slightly_smiling_face:

25 Likes

You never paid the seminar fee!

42 Likes

Tried that and other cathartic longwinded methods.
The energy vampires feed off it, rolls off like water off a duck’s back and then they’re back again as if nothing happened.

Take me for example!

6 Likes

Looks like you’re ready for Plan B, I call it the “cane method”, when you reach my years, you use the “cane method” liberally.

18 Likes

There is another method that uses a rock to make them go away.
It doesn’t have to be a grey rock, either.
Just heavy.

22 Likes

Neat.

Yeah, I’ve found that Fuck Off! can just be used by them as another excuse for high drama. Oh, OH how terrible you are for saying that to them, a person who’s done nothing whatsoever to deserve that kind of treatment!!

27 Likes

I’m adhering to these new life rules, blurred for those with a sensitive tummy & hiney bird.

24 Likes

Be “noncommittal and disengaged, but without completely ignoring the other person”

Use “vague, one-word answers to most questions” and “keep interactions short”

Don’t look the narcissist in the eye. Look at your phone or a book instead of them

Communicate with text if you can, rather than face-to-face or over the phone

I should already be immune to narcissists as this list is pretty much my SOP.

16 Likes

Bingo!

They are allowed to scream insults at you at the top of their lungs but if you say “FUCK OFF” why then…

puddlespout2

16 Likes

Are “gray rock” and “medium chill” the same thing?

1 Like

It’s really hard to disentangle from a narcissist, but it is possible, and it helps if they think it’s their idea; they can’t bear to think that someone doesn’t want to engage with them, be involved with them or be a part of their life, but if you can convince them that they want to cut you out, it will happen.

26 Likes

You can apply the same principals to social media platforms that reward engagement above all else, effectively turning abuse of strangers into a playable game. Gray Rock is a pretty good shorthand for locating and deactivating the feedback loops that make up the ‘gameplay’ mechanism in abuse.

The trouble is the easiest way to do this looks identical to silencing marginalized people.

2 Likes

The force is strong in you.

6 Likes
9 Likes