Here's the gross sexual remark Jim Carrey made to a woman reporter while promoting 'Sonic the Hedgehog'

Who is using the fact that it’s private to discount anything?

Note my link above… They might have an association with the Community, a right wing Christian organization. So keep that in mind.

You want us to not believe what we see, but we do, no matter what you try to tell us.

Likely since she probably got harassed for it. She could lose her career over this. But hey… as long as a rich white man isn’t inconvenienced, as that would be a real tragedy… /s

Full stop. That’s a fact.

8 Likes

These days you literally can’t say anything anymore… Why is everyone so damn sensitive?
Only the girl in question can have an opinion on this, no one else

1 Like

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes

Charlotte Long

Yes, we’ve heard Jim’s side which sounds like he made an innocent comment that was taken the wrong way, but we shouldn’t discount her view on it. It seems kind of obvious to get her side if everyone’s pulling out the pitchforks in her defense.

1 Like

That publicist statement didn’t sound to me like it was an innocent comment. It sounded like they berated us for thinking it wasn’t an innocent comment. But of course you yourself made posts in this thread predicated on the idea that it was sexual in nature. So did reporters from USA Today, Fox News, Page Six, the New Zealand Herald (this from the first page of search results).

If it was an innocent comment then then it was one that was clearly badly misunderstood by many, many people.

Carrey’s publicist wants to deny that and tell us all that it was completely innocent and only a dirty person would interpret it the way we all interpreted it. They are trying to shame us for criticizing Carrey. It doesn’t make them credible in my eyes. It also makes me think Carrey should find a new publicist (someone who could defuse this instead of inflaming it).

Anyway, in reading your responses in the thread (I believed you had signalled by your posts that you were with most of the rest of the world in initially hearing the comments as sexual, but I wanted to be sure you actually said that, memory being a fallible thing) I realize that I skipped over something.

That was in response to a direct quote from me in which I said I didn’t think it necessarily mattered how the reporter reacted. I was trying to make a point that things people say in an televised* interview have impacts beyond the room they are sitting in. The impact of that statement could be a negative one even if the reporter found it charming, endearing, hilarious, etc.

But in saying that I did directly say that I wasn’t sure it mattered how the interviewer felt. I can see how someone could read that and think that I was denying the humanity of the reporter. The interviewer was affected directly and I very much do care how they were affected. If you thought that I thought otherwise I’m sure I came across as crazy or arguing in bad faith.

I hope that clears up any misunderstanding on that front.

* I’m saying “televised” as shorthand for put out in the public - I have no idea if this was ever on television or only the internet

8 Likes

Yeah, flirting with the interviewer is totally inappropriate. I don’t get why guys do this. I feel bad for the woman cause she probably had to force a laugh just to seem chill with it. It’s quite bad tbh.

8 Likes

Because it was a stupid question. Carrey is a celebrity; a public figure. He makes millions of dollars off of it - and it comes with the trade off that if you do something that makes you look bad, many people are going to see it or hear about it.

In stark contrast, most of the public shaming articles/books you are referring to talk about private persons who are unwillingly dragged into the public eye when something they do or say goes viral. That is not what happened to Carrey. He acted like an ass in an interview intended to draw public interest in his movie and thus intended to directly line his pockets.

3 Likes

Here’s the other thing: the direct harm to Ms. Long matters. But it’s not all that matters. There is societal harm in propagating male dominance. I see it in the hurt look and withdrawal in my daughter’s face when shit like this happens; not to her, but to any woman.

4 Likes

Lol. Dude whose comedy career has been trash for over a decade makes a crappy joke that fails to land and a bunch of weak Bros jump to his defense because waaaahhh women don’t get to react to things said to them negatively! Same old internet shit right there.

6 Likes

A general reminder, since it seems to be needed:

Further details are available here.

6 Likes

Three more days of this; oh joy.

Carrey’s comment was disrespectful and inappropriate; period.

8 Likes

I’m surprised that this is such a contentious topic. I mean, it’s not like anyone is saying he should face any kind of legal repercussions for this, they’re just pointing out that he was acting like a dick.

5 Likes

i am not in hollywood, so i am not going to comment on whether flirting with a journalist is ok or not. (it’s my understanding if you do, it’s AFTER the interview, not during and only if you’re getting some strong signals sent your way due to the power imbalance)

what i will say is THIS IS NOT FUCKING NEW BEHAVIOR.

Have we forgotten this Youtube video?

I also think Emma Stone is very beautiful, but I keep it to myself.

I wonder if her reply was genuine or in the pre me too era she was heavily pressured to give Carrey an out?

At the time Carrey made that video I felt bad for both of them since TBH, he seemed kind of manic. But this seems to be an ongoing issue for him, and he has enough $ he could get treatment if there’s a medical reason for his behavior. He deserves to be called out.

They are both artists who have touched me deeply, but frankly it depresses the hell out of me that a woman who helped me feel happy in dark times gets subjected to crap to make those movies.

and conversely it depresses the hell out of me someone i looked up to as a kid is disappointed me so deeply.

at times like this there’s an urge… i admit i feel it to… to want to excuse or explain your former hero. we must fight that urge and stand up for this reporter.

in closing fuck you jim carrey, i’m tired of finding out my heros are terrible

4 Likes

i suspect part of it is lot of people grew up with his work.

sometimes ppl, in my opinion, are hesitant to castigate an artist they enjoyed because then it might call into question their own taste/judgement.

i have extremely fond memories of his movies. but many of them haven’t aged well. (ex: the nice guy rant in the mask is a precursor to incel stuff)

he could have started doing more mature movies. pulled an adam sandler and done his own “funny people”.

instead he’s just being shitty out in the open and thinking doing mean watercolors of trump makes up for it

2 Likes

Mod note:

Individuals are entitled to express their opinions as long as they fall within our guidelines. That includes the right to have an opinion without the need to justify it to anyone else.

That is not the same thing as being protected from others commenting on your opinion. But that right ends where respect does. If you want to challenge an opinion here, fine, but that does not 1) obligate the opinion holder to respond nor does it 2) entitle anyone to disrespect a poster as a result.

Debate the position, don’t attack the person please.

4 Likes

I said that earlier and my comment got eaten in whatever petty-ass game folks seem to be playing.

It’s shouldn’t be contentious; there’s no doubt that Carrey said it, and his intent was pretty clear unless one actively strives not to see it.

How about humanitarianism; ie, treating folks with the same respect and dignity that one would want for oneself?

Is that really too much to ask? Rhetorical question there; I know that for some people it totally IS.

3 Likes

What the holy hell is this. Like, if you don’t want to spend your time here, then go spend your time on whatever you consider worthy. You don’t get to dictate to others what they should or should not find interesting or decide that Boing Boing or this topic isn’t important enough. If you feel that way, then don’t waste more of your time by being here.

This is bullshit whataboutism in a topic that is attracting bullshit whataboutism.

We are sorry you are disappointed in the BBS Community.

2 Likes

Actions have consequences. The more whuffie you have, the more those actions have consequences for people other than those directly involved. This is not a difficult concept to understand.