Here's the insane form Trump's ICE makes parents fill out to ask for their children back

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/03/heres-the-insane-form-trump.html

8 Likes

Just the kind of shoddy trick I’d expect from this rotten agency.

25 Likes

I really hope this is legally actionable and can be stopped without the supreme court involved

I’ve been saying how pointless attempted impeachment would be because congress is just going to completely ignore whatever Mueller has in his report, no matter how damaging or how clear the crime

but you know what, maybe we need it for history, just to at least document this is the darkest timeline, this wasn’t supposed to happen and to re-teach all those that never learned from Nixon (and Bush and Reagan and to a lesser extent the foreboding candidacy of Pat Buchanan)

ps. ICE is another product of 9/11 under Bush, good luck abolishing that, look at the TSA which absolutely no-one has a good thing to say about yet survives and thrives and is given more and more power every year

9 Likes

ABOLISH ICE, ASAP.

19 Likes

When you can show me your repeated lottery winnings, I’ll admit your prescience better than my own. P.S. This thread is about ICE and forms.

6 Likes

It is just me or does the form make it seem like they are expecting the parent to know what shelter their children are in?

3 Likes

My concern is they pull a shuffle where they “abolish” ICE, and then reform the same people, same process under a new acronym and continue with business as usual.

15 Likes

I have no doubt they will. The head of this regime knows all about re-packaging sub-par products as “the best, really the greatest” and selling them to his marks at a premium.

Abolishing or breaking up ICE without also doing a thorough housecleaning of leadership and staff and putting in place policies to prevent abuses like this one will be a pointless exercise. Fortunately those calling for ICE to be abolished are serious people who understand that.

13 Likes

Possibly you… but you would not be alone. ICE lawyers are sneaky motherf-----s.

Apart from its scumbaggy main purpose, the form only appears to note that a request for unification has been made (no date or location given).

4 Likes

That form is for people who have been determined not to have a valid asylum claim. They should be deported, preferably together with their kids.

However, presenting that form to someone who has not yet hat their status determined by an immigration judge seems illegal.

3 Likes

Also prosecute some of these fuckers. “Following orders” isn’t an excuse.

The demand is to get rid of it (not re-name it) and go back to what existed before, the INS. The INS didn’t operate with the same impunity and actually had to uphold due process.

19 Likes

It sounds to me like trump and his minions and owners really, really want those kids for some reason or other.
Hmm…

Probably a slavery thing.

4 Likes

Looks a lot like those forms in District Nine, relinquishing title to their homes in exchange for a different place.

2 Likes

I hope some Civil Rights organization is thoroughly documenting all of this fuckery for prosecution of the responsible parties.

I’ve become numb from people like Wall Street Execs walking away from their crimes, but so help me god this round of human rights violations will not pass, and sets a new standard for expectations in the future.

10 Likes

tumblr_o3lrrnvuN21ubin4po1_540

9 Likes

Hope it takes more than just touching the form to count as signing/agreeing to the contract.

3 Likes

The fack that they have Spanish translation for what you have to fill in information but not for the important statement that you sign is strange. You should have the translated to Spanish so the one the sign it have a better chase to understand what they sign.

There is instruction that is has to be read in there own language but why not give the ability to read it too?

3 Likes

“Heads I win, tails you lose” isn’t supposed to be how justice works in America.

6 Likes

This assumes that they speak/understand Spanish.

10 Likes

Of course many of them don’t speak Spanish. But it is quite clear that they assume that many do as the add Spanish where they have to write. So have all text in both Spanish and English will help a lot of people and will not hurt the one that don’t speak Spanish.

You should have the form in English and Spanish to help the one that understand it and have the requirement to have it read to them in a language they understand as it is today both for all. Non Spanish speaker as for Spanish speakers as some will have trouble to read etc You could add the text in Spanish an no cost as is is obvious it fit.

The other advantage is that all Spanish speakers the same translation that can be check to have the same meaning and not a on the fly translation that have higher probability to be incorrect or hard to understand.

3 Likes