Is ICE the new SS?

I’m no expert in pre -WW2 Germany, but doesn’t the ICE in the USA look a lot like what the SS were doing before they went psycho and Hitler decided he wanted to rule the world?

Sure there are no death camps or youth ICE indoctrination. Yet, the ICE is rounding up people wholesale, trying to get anyone they can to snitch of suspected illegals, separating parents and children, and denying the detainee their legal rights.

I know it isn’t a perfect parallel, but it seems damn scary.

10 Likes

I’ll go with Gestapo, they were the state agency. It’s rounding up from where ICE is today, but they’re still escalating so, yes.

SS were the armed wing of a political party. SD were the intelligence arm of the party.

9 Likes

It’s getting worse, but all of this isn’t actually new. ICE/CBP has been casually murdering people for years.

6 Likes

The fact they’re called ICE really bugs me, too. Mark Thompson frequently says, and I agree, that if you’re the police you shouldn’t be allowed to have a cool acronym. It sends completely the wrong message to the cops.

7 Likes

Closer to the Gestapo, I’d say. The SS was a Party organization. The State Secret Police was a government agency.

Either way the yellow badges/bracelets detainees wear to denote subhuman status while their children are ripped away from them to be put into “foster care or whatever” bring back such FOND GODDAM MEMORIES of what happened to my relatives that I’m having trouble typing.

9 Likes

accitentionally, i am sure.

5 Likes

Yet…

3 Likes

“History doesn’t repeat itself but it often rhymes.” ~ Mark Twain [possibly apocryphal]

10 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes

Also relevant

6 Likes

I have no idea about the historical accuracy of this. ^

5 Likes

But after a certain date, didn’t the distinction between State and Party cease to matter, or even to exist?

4 Likes

“Tyranny is the deliberate removal of nuance”

― Albert Maysles

7 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be any mention of it on the Karlsruher FV or Karlsruher SC wiki pages. It’s difficult to tell though, as Karlsruher SC is a merger of several different teams who were active in the 1930s.

However Dynamo Kyiv are famous for their act of resistance against the Nazis (even if it is more propaganda than truth).

4 Likes

The CBP does have a youth program, however.

https://www.cbp.gov/careers/outreach-programs/youth/explorer-program

2 Likes

If people start getting shot for “trying to escape” on a regular basis then we will know for certain, but it will be too late by that point.

3 Likes

Welp, I looked up the Karlsruhe FC event on Snopes and they rate it MOSTLY TRUE, but from the way many of us are taking it as a parallel to kneeling for the American national anthem I think in that context it’s MOSTLY FALSE because the Karlsruhe team wasn’t protesting Nazism.

That’s interesting about the Death Match, I hadn’t heard of that one.

3 Likes

taking it as a parallel of the behavior of the league and club owners, when their property doesn’t fall in party line and do as it is told.

Not about the objections raised by the players, rather about how they’re not seen or respected as individuals with agency, by fascists.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s true.

2 Likes