Is ICE the new SS?

Too late.

Don’t expect there to be a clear transition between “concentration camps where people die by negligence” and “concentration camps where people die by active malice”. It’s slippery slope all the way, and clear only in hindsight.

7 Likes

In a stunning reversal of Betteridge’s Law, the answer to this headline is Yes.

Wasn’t ‘the reversal of the laws of nature’ one of the signs of an impending apocalypse?

1 Like

ICE will go down in history as an administrative measure, initiative by Obama that Trump has not tried to dismantle. Yet.

ICE was established by the GW Bush administration. With overwhelming bipartisan support in Congress.

5 Likes

I was confused, blended issues. Trump will throw out more people from the U.S.A. then Obama did.

2 Likes

Quite possible, eventually. Although they may be outnumbered by those fleeing voluntarily.

This is not about Bush, or Obama, or even Trump. It’s about the USA, and how it has always acted towards the rest of the world. Particularly the parts that are not white or wealthy.

3 Likes

I’d advocate more radical/holistic solutions myself, but Alexandria’s ideas are a good start.

4 Likes

After some thought, I believe I can confidently say that the answer is no. The SS were composed of several different groups, none of which can be reasonably compared to ICE.
In prewar Germany, an agency called the Zollgrenzschutz performed more or less the same functions that ICE performs today. But they performed those duties in a Nazi manner

3 Likes

ICE has been through two or three different stories about what happened. They’ll keep trying and keep lying until they find the final official narrative and all get the Medal of Freedom.

2 Likes

After 1936, all police were required to be members of the Allgemeine-SS. Concentration camp guards were also members.

The Gestapo analogises to the FBI. Secret police hunting subversion.

3 Likes

good luck to him.

2 Likes

The lack of history of these things is just shocking.

ICE is treated like a fundamental part of American society, but it was founded in 2003. This thread mentions NFL players who are expected to stand on the field during the national anthem but that only started in 2009. We constantly hear about how guns can’t be banned because of the second Amendment but the court ruling saying the second amendment applied to individuals was in 2008.

Considering how political power has been concentrated in people who remember the 1960s, this is seriously fucked. Did pre-2000 America simply not exist?

7 Likes

Between Saint Reagan, Bush the Greater, Bush the Lesser, Iraq I and II, constant economic strife, the crack and opoid epidimics, AIDS, 9/11, the PATRIOT Act, April 29, 1992, Central America, Serbia, Somalia, Oklahoma City, Columbine and beyond, and any other number of other outrageous things that have happened in the past 30 years make it kind of hard to keep even more recent history in perspective.

In other news if I reworked the above paragraph, it could be the beginnings of an even shittier version of We Didn’t Start the Fire.

7 Likes

School shootings are another good example. Do the 70-year-olds who run America remember that those didn’t used to happen? That they were exceedingly rare tragedies rather than an unavoidable constant fact of life?

I Don’t Like Mondays was an international hit about a 1979 US school shooting that shocked the world. Now if someone wrote a hit song about school shootings in the US it would indeed sound like We Didn’t Start The Fire.

3 Likes

You’re 100% correct. You are no expert in history.

Headline reads

“US lost track of 1,500 immigrant children, but says it’s not ‘legally responsible’”

Quote at the end

“Our policy is if you break the law, we will prosecute you,” Nielsen said. “You have an option to go to a port of entry and not illegally cross into our country.”

Laws for thee, but not for me.

3 Likes

There are multiple theories on this. The first is that, while certainly some of our software needed work to properly handle dates beyond the year 2000, that doesn’t sufficiently account for the monumentally massive effort requiring thousands of programmers working overtime for years and years in the lead-up to Y2K. No, they were working on a secret project. The millennium cults weren’t entirely wrong. The end was coming and those programmers had to build us a whole new simulated universe on a tight deadline. Of course there were some bugs, and the effects of some of those have been compounding over time, so now we’re starting to see them clearly.

The second is that when the Mayan calendar ran out in 2012, those of us who survived the end of our universe were transferred into this cruddy backup reality, like hotel guests transferred to cheaper rooms due to a power/plumbing problem. We still have a place to sleep, but the view out the window is a dumpster instead of the beach. Maybe we’re just here until maintenance gets the nice reality cleaned up, but who knows if they’ll be done by the time we check out?

3 Likes

2 Likes

The 1,500 children is a completely separate thing from the current border patrol crisis. There’s a VERY GOOD REASON the ORR doesn’t know exactly where they are. For reference, here’s a thread about it.

1 Like