Here's Trump's weird graphic about Mueller on the lectern in the Rose Garden

I just don’t understand how a failed impeachment hearing is a check on the executive branch. If anything, it would embolden them to be worse.

2 Likes

But that’s not how impeachment works. There is no way that impeachment ends with Trump being removed.

As ineffectual as the Democrats seem to me, all they have to do is create a little bit of buzz around impeachment, have Nancy make one stern statement, and trump is shitting his pants. Imagine if the Dems could coordinate a unified message to the press the way the GOP routinely does. They might actually get the mother fucker to resign and avoid all the trouble to impeach.

10 Likes

I know perfectly well how impeachment works. The point is, pointing to 2020 and saying, “let the voters decide” is abdicating their authority and responsibility. 2018 was already the de facto referendum on impeachment, and the blue wave signaled “full speed ahead!”

Impeachment has only happened twice. Even without conviction and removal from office, it is a stain on the presidency that it is inflicted upon. Trump fears impeachment, because he doesn’t give a shit about accomplishment or duty. He only cares about appearances. And impeachment in the House would forever taint his “legacy.” He can’t even say the word.

Before someone objects, pointing out that Clinton wasn’t harmed by impeachment and that the Dems stormed back in the next election: 1. The first thing that people associate Clinton’s presidency with is the Monica Lewinsky scandal, not anything positive that Clinton achieved, and 2. Clinton’s impeachment was bullshit and the majority of people knew it.

With Trump, the majority of people already know he’s a crook. Impeachment proceedings give the current House investigations constitutional teeth. It gives the subpoena power an immediacy that accelerates the time through court challenges. Most importantly, if they get their collective asses moving quickly enough to impeach and hand it over to the Senate for prosecution, it puts the pressure on GOP Senate candidates to defend their vote against removal.

Every time I hear a Democrat express concern about either how impeachment will affect the 2020 election or the administration’s behavior until then, I get frustrated. I’m a pretty optimistic person, but, please, don’t be so naive. You’re worried that they’ll be emboldened? They are killing children in internment camps on the border!

Take another look at the graphic in Xeni’s original post on this topic. Trump doesn’t come up with much new material. They still chant “Lock her up!” and “Build the Wall!” at his rallies 2 1/2 years after the 2016 campaign. You’re worried they’ll use impeachment during the 2020 election? With or without impeachment proceedings, I guarantee that the graphic on that podium or some version of it will be part of the Trump campaign through November, 2020 and beyond.

Please stop expecting restraint, shame, or reasonable behavior from anyone associated with President Biff. Think of the worst thing they could do, and that should be your starting expectation for their bad behavior. It will only be worse.

23 Likes

Quite right - remember when we elected W THE SECOND TIME?? So shameful.

2 Likes

This is depressingly similar to my feelings in 2004 when I was surrounded by Bush supporters that fought like hell to deny that the Iraq invasion wasn’t a perfect success story

7 Likes

I don’t know which is worse - President Shouty McBabyface who can’t control his temper and act professionally, or President Shouty McBabyface who thinks it’s great tactics to stage a temper tantrum.

6 Likes

Dated, but still apt:

20 Likes

Doubtful.

I think Turnip is trying to avoid leaving office at all costs since the presidency is the only thing keeping the prosecutors at bay. Once he becomes a normal citizen again, all that “executive privilege” and “not indicting a sitting president” bullshit stops working.

16 Likes

Because holding the president accountable for criminal acts is part of their job. If the vote fails, fine. But there should be a vote. Giving up before trying because it might hurt your upcoming election prospects is abhorrent.

12 Likes

Your whole country seems to be in the thrall of the Trump base. Nothing is allowed that might upset them. I guess they actually ARE the moral majority, no matter their actual numbers.

3 Likes

Held hostage by the worst of the worst 30% is more like it.

11 Likes

No one is giving up. There are finally House hearings investigating the massive corruption in this administration. Impeachment is a distraction from actually finding the facts.

1 Like

I expect no such thing. I think the House should continue to focus on investigations that reveal the corruption throughout the administration. They don’t need a proceeding that ends in failure to do that.

Graphic design is their passion. This totally accurate infographic looks so powerful and compelling, it could only have been Photoshopped by a Trump intern in WordPerfect 1.0.

If you think that it takes great design to stir up his base, you haven’t flipped through an issue of National Enquirer in a while.

2 Likes

citation needed

6 Likes

FTFY. Impeachment is the investigation and indictment phase of the constitutional mechanism for removing a sitting president. Arguably, taking a literal interpretation of the Constitution, investigations by the House of a sitting president should only happen under the auspices of impeachment proceedings.

Impeachment is step one. The House has more than enough votes for a successful impeachment.

If you read the headline, “Bozo the Clown was indicted today with charges of…” does that leave you with an overall positive or overall negative impression of Mr. the Clown? Indictment can be a successful endpoint of it’s own. So can impeachment.

12 Likes

No thanks. I get that many people want this symbolic action. I don’t think it improves the situation or removes Trump.

I just disagree that it’s the right course for getting Trump out of office. Investigations by multiple House committees are already happening. I think “Senate exonerates Bozo the Clown” is also an effective headline, and I’d rather not see that one right before the election.

1 Like

Those investigations are being delayed and hampered by challenges to their subpoenas. The two main reasons are “lack of legislative purpose” and “executive privilege.” Both of those excuses are shot down under impeachment proceedings.

There’s a good chance, once all the tax returns, finances, and obstruction evidence is compiled and charges laid out, that more than one GOP senator will vote to convict (Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Cory Gardner, Marco Rubio, Bill Cassidy, Thom Tillis, Mitt Romney; basically anyone who has shown signs of resisting Trump or is running in 2020 in a purple state). Then the headline on non-Fox News outlets will be, “Senate Fails to Remove Trump.”

7 Likes