Here's Trump's weird graphic about Mueller on the lectern in the Rose Garden

Apparently, Trump has cost taxpayers $102 million for security while playing golf as president.

$35 million for 7 guilty pleas, 1 conviction, 34 people criminally charged, and 3 companies criminally charged seems like a bargain.

11 Likes

Foamcore don’t lie, man.

3 Likes

12 Likes

That’s a fair point. I’m still willing to let those run their course a little longer, and I think the administration will still stonewall pretty effectively during impeachment proceedings. We seem to want the same things overall, so I’ll be very happy if I’m wrong.

1 Like

Symbolic? Can I use that at my job? Can I tell my boss that my job duties concerning information security are symbolic because it’s not actually possible to prevent all types of attack? I’m doomed to fail right? After all, if I stay on top of IT security, I’ll certainly be logging successful attacks that I had to mitigate and now my resume would be of someone who was successfully attacked so that might hurt my future job prospects. Better to ignore it and have no losses on my record right? Or, is it something I should do because it’s my duty to do so?

That’s kind of the point. You can’t stonewall an impeachment.

8 Likes

It’s coming, Donald.

Hearing that since 2016. Results: Zero

Only thing that’s coming is his re-election after another round of warmongering in the Middle East.

2 Likes

What the actual fuck is this childish bullshit?
A sign?
That man is scared.

2 Likes

From the NYT:

“Instead of walking in happily into a meeting, I walk in to look at people that have just said that I was doing a cover-up,” Mr. Trump said. “I don’t do cover-ups"

“News to me,” replied the presidential scalp.

9 Likes

Very true – but it will almost definitely end with him impeached, which, though symbolic, is a pretty powerful symbol going into an election year. I feel like if they don’t even bother trying at this point, Trump can say “they’re so weak, they kept saying ‘impeachment’ but didn’t even try!”, whereas if the House does impeach him, that’s a pretty stark choice. An incumbent who failed to deliver most of his promises and got impeached, or someone new?

8 Likes

20 Likes

Just think of how fast that intern must have worked to get this graphic ready in time for the “spontaneous” press conference after trump “spontaneously” walked out of the infrastructure meeting. :thinking:

8 Likes

I hear you. I’m not convinced it’s a more powerful symbol than the inevitable “exoneration” in the Senate. The people looking for reasons to support him don’t seem to need much, sadly.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree, that’s the big giant down side to this. If they don’t try, he can crow that they’re weak and that there’s not enough evidence of collusion, etc, to bother trying. If they do, the Senate will inevitably kill it, and he can say that he won. I’m genuinely not sure which lie the public is less likely to buy.

4 Likes

Look at it this way, if he’s off cheating at, sorry, playing, golf then he’s probably not fucking things up for everyone at “work.”

5 Likes

I wonder if this is all just a timing game going on by Pelosi. Presumably, the entire process in the house will take some amount of time. If this was a predictable length, it would be an easier game. However, she does have some control for how long it takes to play out in the House. Similar, the duration of Senate proceedings is important. Using the guideline above and the 531 days until the next election. The best option would be for the House impeachment to complete close enough to the election that the Senate doesn’t have time to complete it’s part before the election but would in the time after, still prior to the new year.

Start to soon, both parts finish and the last word is “Senate doesn’t impeach”.
Start to late, and the last words are “They didn’t even try”.
Getting it just right could leave it at “House impeached, Senate still deliberating”.

That’s a tough game to play.

6 Likes

Honestly the whole thing, though, has this disgusting taste to it. Like the logic of “Why bother prosecuting the cop that killed the black kid when someone on the jury will refuse to convict?” Following that line of reasoning makes the prosecutor complicit. Always giving up because corruption or bigotry will win means being part of that system of corruption or bigotry.

But I feel like the battle has been lost already. Pelosi already chose to frame it as a tactical decision rather than a choice between right and wrong. Trump’s basic defense - that this is all political and there is no right and wrong - has already been laid out.

14 Likes

An unprecedented number of the President’s associates and cabinet members have been convicted of felonies, several are now in prison. That’s not something that has ever happened on a scale like this for ANY sitting President, so I’d hardly call it “zero results.”

15 Likes

Almost as unsettling as the Seth Jeffs article I just read, is looking at twitter comments from people who support Trump, who are proud of the way he’s acting here. They complained about Obama being a tyrant for years, but they want a tyrant, as long as he’s on their team.

5 Likes

Pawns. He’s still President.

Please refer to him a Grifter in Chief

2 Likes