Here's what Congressional Republicans have to gain and lose by impeaching Trump

If “gross incompetence” is enough for Trump then it’s enough for me. (Though by all indications this President is guilty of far worse then mere incompetence.)

19 Likes

I think they will delay taking action until action is forced on them. The first few to publicly turn on trump have the most political risk. So its going to take such over-whelming pressure that they practically have no other choice before they make that choice. They might even try to drag it out and purposely lose enough mid-terms so they can let the democrats own it.

More than just political insurrection, I worry about armed insurrection. Trump’s base feeds purely on fox news and fox has been carrying water for trump by the truckload. These people just have no idea that there are serious problems with trump. Not only will it come out of the blue for them, it will perfectly fit the narrative that “washington elites” and the lamestream media are trying to steal an election that trump won fair and square. Heads are going to explode. Among the trumpanzees it was all about ‘Either We Win This Election or We’re Going to Lose Our Country’. Some are going to decide to “do something about it.”

The one small bright spot is that support for Trump is eroding even among his base. 538 took a look and there has been a dramatic reduction of people who “strongly approve” to just “somewhat approve.” That doesn’t show up in the binary approve/disapprove numbers (yet) but its a good sign.

9 Likes

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Still, the good news is Hillary lost and the bad news is Trump won. Jeez, these are the “best” the Repugs and the Democraps could find…

1 Like

Why is it that everyone who opposes the impeachment of Donald Trump is so goddamned obsessed with Hillary Clinton? She has nothing to do with the question of whether Trump’s actions warrant his removal from office. We know his impeachment won’t put Hillary in the White House. This is about him, not her.

49 Likes

I don’t think there is any significant likelyhood of evidence that Pence has actually committed treason or a high crime. He would be hard to successfully impeach. Unless something interesting (and by interesting I mean horrific) comes to light.

Even if he is impeached the next several in line are all Republicans…

4 Likes

Hm. Prisoner “1314”

If we replace that with corresponding letters from the alphabet, we get… A cad.

5 Likes

Carson is in that line, and fairly near the top too. That is horrifying.

2 Likes

You clearly still have Hillary on the brain or you wouldn’t be dragging her into this discussion.

15 Likes

Your kind of thinking is exactly why Drumph will win in 2020. Betcha.

The good news is that Pence would be coming into the office in a weakened position. Think Gerald Ford—he had so little political capital when he took over the job from a forcibly-resigned Nixon that he barely even won the nomination from his own party when he sought a second term in '76.

4 Likes

“My kind of thinking” meaning “Trump should be impeached because of what he has done, not because of anything that Hillary Clinton has done?”

23 Likes

Not if impeachment happens after a Dem takeover of the House in 2018. I know that’s a big “if”, but if it happens then Pelosi (or whoever the Dems pick) would be next in line after Pence.

2 Likes

I figured it out. :grinning: It’s “45.”

2 Likes

Saturday’s March for Truth in DC is going to be a good one. Just might turn into a March for Impeachment.

6 Likes

Why not…

15 Likes

What else did anyone think?
A party exists to gain power. Countries are the things that give power. (That and corporations, and parties suck up to them, big time.)

The moderates are already being forced out

5 Likes

That’s what happens when you shit on everything around you with no thought for consequences or the future.
Seems they’ve painted shit themselves into a corner.

3 Likes

Ah, the Cult of Trump. Srsly, his hardcore followers have drunk the Kool-aid; they are True Believers and the only way to stop them believing that Trump is The Way, the Truth and the Light is if they all collectively become incapacitated somehow. It’s like dragging someone out of the Koresh compound.

3 Likes

I am so tired of this nihilist fantasy. No, they are not all the same. There are categorical differences between individual politicians and between parties. Just because there is always some overlap does not mean they are indistinguishable.

When you start thinking they are all the same, you are racing to the bottom because if they are all treated as equally bad then there is no point trying to live up to any standards at all.

30 Likes