Hermes makes delivery a pain

“My next door neighbor’s two dogs have created more shovel ready jobs than this president” - Gary Johnson

2 Likes

Clever, but for me- especially if I need flowers delivered.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/online/ftd.htm

Or just go local: http://reallocalflorists.com/

4 Likes

I can verify the putting parcels in bins problem, because it happened to me.

Hermes didn’t bother knocking on the door, they just put a card through the letterbox saying that they had left it in the agreed hiding space (lies, the closest thing I have to an hiding space is an mutual agreement with a neighbour to accept any parcel when either of us isn’t in).

It was lucky I found the parcel, they put it in the bin late in the evening the day before the rubbish was collected. I don’t blame the couriers though, I blame the company for having unrealistic delivery quotas.

3 Likes

Lower than a limbo stick at Carnival time.

1 Like

Hermes is also the messenger of the gods and associated with trade. His Roman counterpart is the commerce god, but I imagine Mercury was already taken by a business or two hundred.

1 Like

Maybe they were trying to buy a Birkin bag and got confused.

UPS in the States is no better. On multiple occasions I’ve stayed home all day to get a package, only to get a text from the lying sack of shit driver saying he tried to deliver but I wasn’t home. After that happened the second time, I called UPS and had them hold the package at the distribution office, where they said I could pick it up the next day. I drive down there, only to find out that these idiots loaded the package on a truck.

I now bypass their home delivery altogether. I signed up for their alert system, so as soon as a package enters their system with my address, I get notified, and I can redirect it to a local pick-up point.

Oh, and while I’m in bitch mode, let’s talk about he UPS app. When I go to pick up a package at the UPS office, the info in listed in the app. However, I have to slowly read off the SEVENTEEN digit tracking number, and they have to manually key it in. Why can’t the app just display a QR code of the number, and they can use any of the dozens of handheld scanners laying around to just scan in the code? Idiots.

4 Likes

I love looking up the online UPS tracking to find that the first and second delivery attempts have been made, yet somehow there are no delivery attempt stickers on my door. Why, it’s as if nobody ever came to my house… :unamused:

And then there is the distantly located hell that is the UPS pick up office…

(Everything was good when I had a local Package Store that would accept deliveries, right until the store pulled up stakes skipped town with people’s packages at all the store fixtures, with no notice, not even to the landlord, and no forwarding address or contact numbers…totally unexpected after their decades in business. )

Lower than a green snake crushed by a sugar cane truck.

5 Likes

It is a tricky one since, as the chap points out up front, you - the recipient - aren’t their customer and so Le Chatelier’s principle will push couriers to not giving a fuck about you.

That’s the only real route to affecting the courier that the recipient has. But recipients are well aware that calling the sender is almost pointless since ‘what can they do’ and you’d have to rely on them to sanction their - presumably cost-effective - shipper.

Nope. Only one thing for it. Everybody in the community must elect their own, personal, courier and require that senders use them, not whomsoever they damn well please. And of course it must be done for an up front pre-negotiated price.

1 Like

I loved when UPS started using US Postal Service as door delivery for smaller packages - do you think my mailman ever got his ass out of his right-hand-drive jeep one effing time?

even after I complained about him several times to the postmaster who swore she would straighten him out - even though my mailbox was right at the end of my short driveway and he had to stop there anyway

and of course, when I finally got the failed delivery notice, which he never left on the first “try”, and schlepped all the way down to the post office, the package would easily have fit in the mailbox, but he couldn’t be arsed

I called Amazon about it a couple of times too, guess what the answer was? - call UPS

1 Like

You Fool! That’s Mercury-- not Hermes.

1 Like

Who is this imposter? There is only one god called Mercury.

6 Likes

I can never decide whether they’re the same god or not; I’m mercurial when it comes to mythological hermeneutics.

5 Likes

Someone has probably written a book on what the Romans changed when they appropriated foreign cults.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.