Hidden 30-foot hall found in Great Pyramid of Giza

Originally published at: Hidden 30-foot hall found in Great Pyramid of Giza | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Grain, duh.

22 Likes

I really miss Zahi Hawass for these announcements. The guy had a certain flair and enthusiasm.

Alas he flew to close the the Mubarak regime.

10 Likes

if it’s the same as depicted here:

then isn’t it just a load bearing weight reduction void maneuver? (popular among architects immemorial)

15 Likes

Or quantities of the larger agricultural tools such as scythes and ploughshares, which must be pretty damn sharp by now.

11 Likes

28 Likes

BEWARE SUTEKH
Sutekh

Sutekh | Tardis | Fandom

8 Likes

“On second thought, let’s put the burial chamber here.”

(Loud sighs as the brick up the hall way)

15 Likes

17 Likes

Sharper than a tack? I need to know whether I can take one through airport security.

4 Likes

Aliens.

2 Likes

His (alleged) corruption didn’t help him either

7 Likes

Dude’s also a hardcore anti-semitic bastard.

… If Egyptian archaeology was a country, then certainly Hawass would be its Mubarak. Just like his former boss, he is besieged by allegations about his business interests, accusations of turning Egypt’s archaeology into a one-man show by claiming credit for scientific findings and being the sole speaker about Egyptology in the local and international media. Of course, he’s also committed the unforgivable sin of being one of Mubarak’s favourite men.

Hawass is the epitome of the kind of self-centred, egocentric and possibly charismatic figure that the revolution has risen against, along with the kind of Mubarak-era politics he used to symbolise. Even though he’s been called Egypt’s Indiana Jones, the name that probably describes him best is his very own, Zahi, which means vain or conceited in Arabic.

Evidence of his narcissistic personality is not difficult to find. In April he launched a clothing line named after himself in Harrods, and his last book, A Secret Voyage, is Egypt’s most expensive book ever, carrying a price tag of 22,000 Egyptian pounds (about £2,300) with only 750 copies printed, and all signed by Egyptian archaeologists. …

9 Likes

And Mondoshawan

4 Likes

Pharaoh: Look I love what you’ve done out the back, the pyramid shape is genius! Just want to know if we can have a breakfast nook above the sarcophagus for when we have guests over.

Pharaoh’s Architect: I love it, I love it, we can make it fabulous! We’ll just knock out this wall and put in a polished stone bench top.

Pharaoh’s Building Project Manager: You do realise we’ll be knocking out some load bearing rock?!

Pharaoh’s Builder: Holy shit, I’m not paid enough to put up with this camel shit.

8 Likes

They keep messing around with that thing and they’ll call the aliens back.

2 Likes

A lot of Egyptologists were glad to see the back of him. Hawass had a reputation of blocking researchers he didn’t like from excavations and wasn’t always willing to accept criticism of his own theories - especially those regarding the rather dubious DNA identification of the late 18th Dynasty royal mummies which was already a radioactive cat fight before he claimed to have identified them all definitively in collaboration with US tv companies.

7 Likes

He’s also really ideologically motivated, which is a bad sign in any researcher. He wasn’t just interested in how the ancients did things, he was on a mission to prove that Egyptian culture is above all the rest and that ancient Egypt is the greatest civilization that ever was. You could see his lack of objectivity on this stuff when he spoke. He was like a Chamber of Commerce booster, not a scientist. Enthusiasm for the material is great, but there’s a point where it becomes a red flag.

6 Likes

I just can’t resist…

5 Likes

Zahi Hawass: coming soon to a stage near you

4 Likes