Hidden message in mass resignation letter from President Trump's Committee on Arts and Humanities

Nicely done, although I suspect Trump will shrug, say “Whatever, losers”, and toss the letter in the trash. Arts and Humanities isn’t exactly something he’s ever shown much interest in or respect for.

On another note, this letter is a good example of the proper use of the phrase “in the strongest possible terms”. I hear that phrase all the time these days, whether it’s someone condemning something Trump did, or Trump condemning a terrorist attack. 99% of the time, it’s used like it’s a magic incantation. People just say “I condemn (insert bad thing here) in the strongest possible terms” and then just stop. That’s not how words work. If you say that, you need to then follow that statement up with actual strong terms. This letter does that. Well done. #petpeeverant

6 Likes

Sounds as if we have a national philosopher’s strike in the offing. That’ll hurt, buster, it’ll hurt.

2 Likes

See you at the Amalgamated Union of Philosophers, Sages, Luminaries, and other professional thinking persons against Trump brunch next weekend?

3 Likes

Some moderately strong, or even a wee bit strong, actions, seem to have more effect than terms, even those of maximum conceivable strength.

Resigning out of principle is an almost lost art. Glad to see it’s coming back.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.