Transportation secretary Elaine Chao resigns over Trump support for Capitol siege

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/07/transportation-secretary-elaine-chao-resigns-over-trump-support-for-capitol-siege.html

11 Likes

48 Likes

Honestly did not see that one coming.

Good riddance Mrs Turtle. Somebody should check to see how much Boeing stock she received to get the Max back into the air.

28 Likes

also, this gets her out of having to face up to any potential 25the amendment responsibilities that might have darkened her path.

50 Likes

Deeply disturbed, but not enough to remove trump via Amendment25.

Face it - she jumped ship to limit her risk as a accomplice.

44 Likes

Let’s just hope that the ship is far away from the shore…

21 Likes

What a brave, symbolic gesture to resign

mere days before her ass was getting fired.

30 Likes

She’s a coward for quitting before the Cabinet votes to remove Trump via the 25th Amendment.

31 Likes

So much for the idea that fascists make the trains run on time.

19 Likes

Chao wrote that she was “deeply troubled” by the events at the Capitol building.

kidding-me

25 Likes

here’s an even more painful take–

21 Likes

Yeah, that was my first thought, too.

6 Likes

“turning the page” has been an important part of how we have gotten to this point. it is well beyond time for the so-called “party of personal responsibility” to get the chance to take some responsibility for the horrors they’ve wrought.

and now i’m going to go back to characterizing a new occlupanid i just found.

edited for grammar and tense.

22 Likes

Ditto.

1 Like

She didn’t want to have to commit YAE or NAY on the 25th Amendment.

8 Likes

The fucking coward. That mob was about two minutes from abducting and possibly executing your husband. So you run for cover right when it is your job to stay and implement the 25A?

22 Likes

“Oh well, better luck next time?” – Ms. Chao (possibly?)

6 Likes

I get that impeachment 2 weeks away from the end of his presidency might feel like an empty gesture. But I honestly don’t think it is, because not impeaching him feels like letting him off the hook. You don’t forgive someone stealing office supplies because they’ve already handed in their notice.

As for expelling the members who supported this? I get that choosing not to do this might be less messy in the short term, but it also sends a similar message about consequences, or lack thereof. Anyone who openly opposes the results of a legal election has no place in Congress. Especially those who claimed that the “President” line was fraudulent but the line with their name was not.

13 Likes

i believe it is clearly time to hold these bastards to account for what they have wrought. i live in the district one of the representatives who voted against certifying the election. i called his district office and left the message that he either join with representative omar as a co-sponsor of her impeachment resolution or he should resign immediately. i also posted that to his twitter feed.

10 Likes
15 Likes