High School principal who enjoys Iron Maiden subject of dueling petitions

Originally published at: High School principal who enjoys Iron Maiden subject of dueling petitions | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Force her to conform to the majority culture! you know, for inclusivity!

22 Likes

The solution here is a live screening of “Teenage Dirtbag” by Wheatus at the next PTO meeting.

Either that or feed the infidels to Eddie. Might give him indigestion though.

7 Likes

I hope she gets peace of mind.

11 Likes

6 Likes

I’ve read a couple articles about this, of course being an Iron Maiden fan doesn’t make her a satan anything but, in my opinion, she shouldn’t have used her school social media account to post photos.

So maybe in that regard the parents might have a beef but not because being an Iron Maiden fan makes her evil or unable to be a role model for students.

4 Likes

You want her to move to Boston?

4 Likes

That sounds harsh, unless you mean the town, in which case I don’t have an opinion either way.

7 Likes

But did not Boston, the band, foretell the coming of Eddie?

Take a look, a head! :notes:

8 Likes

The Satanic metal panic is like 40 years old. Might as well freak out about jazz or something.

15 Likes

Last time they did that, they made pot illegal.

17 Likes

they are inclusively demanding that everyone conform to their world view… totes inclusive…

Why should educators pretend that they have no lives outside of school? And why should they not post whatever they want on their own social media?

There isn’t a single thing wrong with like Iron Maiden. None. The parents who made this petition are Christian dominionists who want everyone to conform to their faith. They are promoting a very anti-American world view by trying to force everyone in their community to follow their religion.

13 Likes

Anti-Canadian? Anti-North American? If anything Canadians believe in the value of tolerance at least as much as the US, so the point is still valid.

2 Likes

Yeah, that would “Piece of Mind” for Maiden!

And, as a fellow IM fan who is known to sometimes wear Eddie on my t-shirt to work, all I can say is

11 Likes

She’s got great taste. But if they persist will she be forced to run to the hills?

5 Likes

Heretic! Dancing on Sundays is the true evil.
Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

6 Likes

C’mon, Iron Maiden’s discography is practically a humanities courses all by itself. Poetry and history you can bang your head to. They should be so lucky that their kids would take an interest in Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Tennyson, the Crimean War, Battle of Britain, Poe, mythology, etc etc. Heck, the Number of the Beast recites the Bible.

16 Likes

I know, right!

I joke that their songs are secretly “Nerd Metal”.

Plus they are the introduction to many for “The Prisoner” and The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists’ Doomsday Clock.

9 Likes

Yeah, it’s not like she’s a Metallica fan.

3 Likes

The “concerned parents” thing may be less about Iron Maiden, and more looking for BS excuses to get rid of someone they already don’t like. The article hints at this:

She has even turned a whole room into a prayer room for students who are practicing religions other than Christianity, like practicing Islam.

I was just thinking that if that was the case, then perhaps the folks who posted the petition and as well signed it, might start to get uncomfortable at the idea that people are looking into the complaints and that it may hit the news what it’s really about. So I checked the petition:

Modern media: Shining a bright light into dark corners.

14 Likes