Highway to Hell: Trump PAC CEO praises Muslim registry, internment camps

“I’m not going to rule anything out” completely invalids the definite answer in the rest of the sentence, that’s what that phrase specifically means.

17 Likes

No.

But this is a man who is so incompetent and thin-skinned that he is engaged in a lawsuit on the average of twice a week over more than two decades and had to declare bankruptcy four times. The odds of him actually managing to have a successful presidency, even using the bare minimum metrics of “No economic recession, no disastrous wars, no further crumbling of major infrastructure, no removal of present civil rights for large swathes of the population” are about nil.

But I would love to be proven wrong.

Also, as others have pointed out, “I’m not ruling anything out,” specifically invalidates the rest of the statement. If nothing is being ruled out, that means that a religion-based registry is still ruled in.

However, you are currently engaged in a deflection argument on a “hope for the best” statement without a “plan for the worst” aspect. On that specific note, you have still not answered my question as to what specific warning signs you would view as out-and-out klaxons.

15 Likes

I think you have that backwards. Given his prior abysmal record in business and his appalling behaviour during the campaigns, if Trump manages to not do anything terrible it will be BECAUSE of the disruption to his presidency preventing him from either making terrible choices or preventing him from appointing utter shitsacks to important positions.

This isn’t a petrie dish, where you can just step back and watch what happens then maybe think about an intervention for the next go around. Like it or not, whether you chose to do something or chose to do nothing, you are involved already. There is no ‘null case’.

14 Likes

The specific warning signs is a complicated issue, and very hard to answer unless things proceed more or less exactly the way they did in the Dritte Reich, the Red Terror, or other historical case of mass inhumanity to man. By the time they are loading people into rail cars, it is too late.
We always plan for the worst. It is a sensible thing to do when one lives in wilderness. We always have lots of food, water, fuel, firewood, and ammunition.

lol, merica

pew pew pew

13 Likes

Superior firepower > moral fiber.

4 Likes

sigh Okay. I should have expected this. You are a very literal person and do not do nuance very well.

At the very least, answer me this: are you willing to concede that if a Muslim Registry is created, it will be the de facto equivalent to the Nuremberg Laws?

15 Likes

Pffft. Their badges won’t even be yellow.

9 Likes

If you don’t have any of the last one, you can’t discourage people from taking the other four. We probably won’t need any of them, except for when ice knocks out the power.

And completely unconstitutional. Yes.

3 Likes

Because persons never propose and attempt unconstitutional action.

Because it wasn’t unconstitutional when we jailed Japanese-Americans.

8 Likes

Okay. Then all we have to do now–all we really can do now–is wait and see, and take actions as each of us see as appropriate, legally and morally.

And, honestly, I hope that I am wrong and that you are right, and that Trump is not the monster surrounded by monsters that I fear him to be.

But if it turns out that that is not the case, please, please, have enough integrity and honesty within yourself to be able to look in the mirror and go, “I was wrong.”

7 Likes

It was unconstitutional, and counterproductive.

Why else do you think people have been freaking the fuck out ever since this was first floated? Who is it that you think you’re talking to, that you feel the need to point this out?

10 Likes

It wasn’t in the Nazi’s Rational Self-Interest to commit the Holocaust, sure Ayn Rand. Sure.

I’ve never heard that terrible Objectivist statement before.

7 Likes

So, you’re saying, “We’ll be fine. Fuck everybody else”?

7 Likes

Isn’t that just a variant on MAGA?

12 Likes

wrong.
The internment was found to be constitutional.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/323/214#writing-USSC_CR_0323_0214_ZO

4 Likes

Not at all. All of our neighbors do the same. That means that when the power goes out, or whatever, everyone is likely fine, and will not need to be rescued. Thus, nobody has to risk whiteout conditions or floodwaters to rescue someone who did not think to make basic preparations.

The 1944 ruling was one of the issues revisited by the commission on Relocation and Internment in 1983. One of the results of the review was the Civil liberties Act of 1988, signed be Reagan to ensure that the experience of the interned citizens was not repeated.