Hillary Clinton accepts Democratic party nomination for president

You seem to catch me at my most nihilistic moments.

This is a good thing. But on the other hand, it only means the US is catching up to where the rest of the world has been for quite a while. Thousands of years, even.

6 Likes

“I believe in SCIENCE” HRC

The entire TEAGOP just collectively shit themselves.

6 Likes

Nah. They’re rubbing their hands with glee over how easy it’s going to be for Trump to keep finding issues on which to tack left of Clinton.

4 Likes

I hate it when people say that! The power of science/reality is precisely that you don’t need to believe in it.

3 Likes

You are correct in that the TEAGOP has one of the those disturbing hobbies that brings shame to them consistently, Anti-Common Sense. It’s a sure bet that they will be displaying all front and center for the World to view. I’ll send over some popcorn.

Well, good luck. Better get used to her, because I am pretty sure, barring some sort of WWE type plot twist, she will be the next president.

2 Likes

Nope. I (among many others) immediately flashed to scores of suffragettes in white:
(Source)

7 Likes

Well that was a great speech. In one of these posts I can’t find I wrote what I thought Clinton needed to say to Sanders supporters, and she basically said just what I said she should say.

I didn’t like some parts of the speech, but that was because I disagreed with Clinton on the actual content. My view would be considered extremely outsider by Americans and isn’t really something to run a presidential campaign on if you want to win (even though I’m right).

I thought she attacked Trump in exactly the way she should. In particular the standout for me was raising Trump’s bankruptcies, but not to criticize him as a failed businessman. She raised them to point out that he gets to walk away from debts and students don’t. It’s not that his bankruptcies were bad business, it’s that they were unfair. I like that change of script. A close second would be when she raised the fact that Trump didn’t pay people for doing work for him and basically outright said he was running a con on America.

But she definitely spent most of the speech talking about herself, which was good, and some noticeable portion talking about plans to do things. Was that “constitutional amendment” talk on Citizen’s United in the DNC platform, or was that a shocker? Because it surprised me.

So I went to RealClearPolitics this morning to see the post convention poll (I figured there would be one) and I expected to see Clinton riding a post-convention bump.

+16?!?

In a poll including Johnson and Stein.

I know better than to read a lot into single polls, but it looks like it was a really good speech.

4 Likes

Sometimes, though, they have to say it. Like when it becomes clear that the other people who want to run the country don’t believe in it, and would rather blindfold themselves, bury their heads in the sand, and then shove the entire beach, heads included, up their asses, rather than confront scientific reality.

8 Likes

Oh man, I forgot all about “Donald Trump says he knows more about ISIS than our generals… No, Donald, you don’t” followed by like a minute of disapproving stare right at the camera. That was gold.

12 Likes

In order to make decisions that align with your goals, yes, you do have to believe the predictions of science. That’s because reality doesn’t care if you believe in it.

5 Likes

You’ll have to forgive my lack of excitement, since being moderately less evil and scary than Trump or happening to possess a different set chromosomes than previous presidents doesn’t really seem to me like great reasons to get excited.

3 Likes

“Tea Party” = “the Trumpenproletariat” is a common misconception here.

The original tea party was about rolling back regulations, reducing federal expenses, and encouraging economic growth. (with which I am in agreement)

The Trump movement is about tariffs, personal vendettas by the President, and letting the current deficits grow to infinity. Somehow by letting him ooze his sheer awesome Trumpishness all over everything, our problems are supposed to be fixed. (I don’t entirely disagree with Trump on immigration. If it’s fair to restrict H1b’s to protect the jobs of degree holding tech worker citizens, it’s likewise fair to protect the jobs of unskilled and semi skilled worker citizens too)

And that’s why I can’t support Trump, even though I despise Clinton as I do.

What the USA needs is leaders who will tell us that we have been running up unsustainable levels of debt for decades now, and that it’s going to take more decades of what a great man called “blood, toil, tears and sweat” to get us back on a sound footing.

Instead, we get Trumps, Clintons and Sanders’ who tell us there is a “quick fix” that will be painless for their respective constituencies, because someone else (who is emphatically Not Them) will pay for it all.

The American public desire not truth, but soothing lies.

2 Likes

Holy crap! I think that movement might be attributed to more than just one speech though, but a mix of her nailing what she needed to nail, not only putting a lot of Bernie’s agenda into her platform, but advocating for many of those planks in her speech in a way that sounded like she sincerely cared about them, a DNC that showed an amazingly positive contrast to the RNC, Obama’s full-throated backing (he’s one of the most popular 2nd term Presidents), Kaine’s intro. to most of the electorate as a guy who at least seemed like a warm, thoughtful, genuinely good guy, topped off with a number of effective critiques of Trump.

The campaign has also started pushing ads using the theme of mom and pop businesses discussing Trump hiring them then either not paying them or hardballing them to take pennies on the dollar for their work while threatening them with lawyers if they didn’t and the economic troubles they personally suffered as a result. While it’s not the worst he’s done, it’s powerful since it’s something viscerally horrible to everyone across party lines.

3 Likes

It’s crazy to watch everybody going full-lemming right now, many people even saying the exact same phrases, choked with emotion. I have never been more proud of myself for acquiring critical thinking skills. It’s unreal. Thanks for not being cowed into silence. The belittling of thruth-speakers is getting tiresome.

5 Likes

This is your periodic reminder that if you’d like to put some folks in office likely to join Warren and Sanders in pressuring her to do the right thing, we’re pulling together a list of folks who could use your help over here. The best way to pressure Hilary to deliver on these campaign promises is to put other folks in office who want to deliver on these promises!

11 Likes

The obvious point is that a politician who believes in science will be more likely to make evidence-based decisions instead of, say, denying the reality of global warming.

6 Likes

Congratulations on your historic and groundbreaking accomplishment this day.

6 Likes

I’m not willing to hand over the definition of “believe” to religion.

The scientific method gives good results since hundreds of years, so I’m sure it’s a viable principle. I can believe in scientific results without reading (and understanding…) the papers or replicating the experiments myself.

3 Likes