Hillary Clinton accepts Democratic party nomination for president

Your critical reasoning skills might be highly hampered by your evidence gathering skills at this point. “Everybody”? “Full-lemming”? You’ve mistaken your opinions for data again.

6 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s the post-convention bump. But in this case it’s more like a post-convention beating.

It was a great speech and it made me feel better about her as a possible president, but some of the content was downright disturbing from my point of view (I think I was taking flak for saying she would go to war with Russia and her speech contained a straight up, “Yeah, I’d even go to war with Russia” moment). On the other hand, though, some of the content was way better than I could have realistically dreamed a month ago.

Your next president is going to start World War III regardless of who you pick. But at least Clinton is going to try to do something about student debt. Hopefully that will mean more young people can afford to build concrete fallout shelters.

4 Likes

+16 is a YUUUUUGE convention bump. Trump’s was, what, like 3%? If that +16 is for reals, it sounds like all that needs to happen for Hill to lock this down is to not screw up in the next few months, and to keep saying the things that make lefties and angry mid-westerners smile.

1 Like

Most of the time when I watch a politic speech I think things like, “Oh, you should have said X”. There was one moment in Clinton’s speech where I thought, “You should have said X” but then I realized, she did.

Well, let’s take a closer look. In Atlantic City, 60 miles from here, you’ll find contractors and small businesses who lost everything because Donald Trump refused to pay his bills. Now remember what the President said last night – don’t boo, vote.

People who did the work and needed the money, and didn’t get it – not because he couldn’t pay them, but because he wouldn’t pay them. He just stiffed them. That sales pitch he’s making to be your president? Put your faith in him – and you’ll win big? That’s the same sales pitch he made to all those small businesses.

Yeah, she went ahead and said it. His pitch for president is just like his real estate pitches, his business pitches. He walked away from those bankruptcies just fine.

I’ll keep saying it: Some of the things she said in that speech were the opposite of what I wanted to hear, but they were from her party platform. I disagree with some parts of the platform and I like other parts. But in terms of just being a speech? It was gold.

8 Likes

Congress isn’t ready for someone like Warren. Her time will come, though. I hope.

5 Likes

You obviously don’t appreciate the rarity of critical thought or the effort it takes to acquire the ability to do so these days. An argument can be made that many of our electoral woes would be non-existant if Americans valued critical thought and prioritized it in our educations. Congratulations for feeling the need to insult my expression of happiness at being free from the current deluge of bullshit and hysteria. I am mostly self-educated, grew up in an aliterate working class family, in poverty, and spent a lot of my adult life in intellectual poverty. So for me, learning to think is an accomplishment. Try it yourself someday, it’s truly liberating.

3 Likes

Just in case you forgot to critically analyze your own post, I’ll offer a pointer. If you start off your self-congratulatory diatribe with an insult calling everyone lemmings, while acting as though any you disagree with are failing to engage in critical thought, you shouldn’t be surprised if it’s not received with praise and wonder.

Do you really think this is going to make anyone you disagree with think, “oh, I guess I’ve never engaged in critical thought, I’ll try it out.”? If you stop being obnoxious to other people, they’ll probably relate to you better.

8 Likes

And you’ve mistaken a blog comment section where people discuss issues informally for a peer-reviewed journal. How exactly do you expect me to state that opinion differently? These are discussions about largely subjective issues.

1 Like

Wow. The irony here is a little too much. I don’t do personal fights. But I will state that you are completely misrepresenting what I said, in fact and spirit.

You obviously don’t appreciate the rarity of female heads of state or the effort it takes to acquire the ability to elect one these days. An argument can be made that many of our social woes would be non-existent if Americans valued equality between men and women and prioritized it in their educations. Congratulations for feeling the need to deride women’s expression of happiness at being free from the current deluge of sexism.

Edit: apologies; quoted the wrong post

3 Likes

No, I was explaining that the way you’re talking to people on a blog comment section is obnoxious.

If you’re opinion is “there sure are a bunch of emotional lemmings here who’ve never have engaged in critical thought in their lives, unlike me,” maybe you might want to think about what your motivation really is.

4 Likes

Why do you need to inaccurately paraphrase what I said, and then respond to your own misrepresentation, instead of just rrsponding to exactly what I said? I don’t waste my time arguing with people who aren’t interested in what a person actually said. Take out your frustration on someone else.

There we go. That didn’t take long. Classy.

I’m done with this conversation.

7 Likes

The one thing I caught that I thought would’ve been clever would be a little tack towards science in the glass ceiling bit. “When there’s no ceiling, as NASA has taught us, not even the sky is the limit.” I remember there being one other minor thing too, but overall it was fantastically written.

3 Likes

Well, you’ve got me convinced.

8 Likes

I thought this was a good read yesterday.

I wasn’t familiar with Rensin until the kerfuffle about riots, Trump and Vox, but he’s interesting.

What Does the Democratic Party Stand for Now? Good Question

Yeah, that comment reminded me of a joke: “I wanted to be an astronaut but my parents kept telling me the sky was the limit.”

12 Likes

Wasn’t much of a conversation. But good, it was ridiculous. I gaurantee you my post did not say what you needed it to say to shoehorn your polemic into it.

Projecting much? My statement was obviously intended for a very specific group of ‘true believers’. Why on earth would I have intended to say I think I am smarter than EVERYONE else? And if that’s truly what I was saying, why would you bother even wasting your time on someone that arrogant? As a progressive (and ilfelong Democrat), I am now and have routinely been called a bro, sexist, child, baby, moron, etc. And you can’t even tolerate one individuals expression of happiness at not being involved in a manufactured exercise in acquiescence.

2 Likes