Hillary Clinton accepts Democratic party nomination for president

‘Salute’ is a bit much. Most everyone here on BB will be sulking to the voting booth, including me. Many conservatives will be sulking to the voting booth as well, whether they’ve decided to vote for Trump or Clinton. Basically there’s going to be a whole lot of sulking.

The people literally saluting Trump are the ones to worry about.

7 Likes

You’ll be able to tell those of us who are lined up to vote for Gary Johnson or Jill Stein, we’ll have the big smiles on our faces.

2 Likes

I smiled when I voted for Nader.

By March 2003, I’d stopped smiling.

9 Likes

Except, of course, whichever you vote for, you’ll lose.

I prefer to remain a non-citizen for now, so I won’t be accused of wasting my vote.
(regardless, if Clinton wins this state by less than, ooh, 600000 votes, I’ll be suprised)

4 Likes

I’ll stop smiling after the election no matter what, so I may as well smile whilst I can.

2 Likes

I should totally set up a stand à la Lucy from Peanuts offering post-voting psychiatric care and smile stickers.

For my precinct, of course. Though now that I think about it, this could easily be a national campaign.

6 Likes

I have voted in eight presidential elections. Twice for the Republican, once for the Democrat, and five times third party. Slept like a contented puppy afterwards too.

Imma guess Mondale.

Why you…

I’m not trying to, I promise!

1 Like

Obligatory, but not directed at you:

2 Likes

I like this so much, and frankly, it’s something that I’ve found necessary as a feminist. I don’t think I would have gotten quite the same response if my posts here followed an “all you men and you willfully ignorant women are ignoring the unprecedented and generations-forward implications of this moment” theme. One, I don’t believe that and two, how does that start a useful dialog?

Speaking only for myself, I feel pretty happy with my interactions with @chromakey earlier in this thread when he said (if you’re not a he, apologies):

He obviously has some very passionate opinions about Clinton, but I felt as if he tried to see the moment from a different perspective, namely, mine – If you didn’t, well, fuck you. :slight_smile:

I don’t know. This is what is pretty special to me about BBS.

10 Likes

It’s kind of like you’re at a Superbowl party, the home team won, and you’re trying to remind people as they cheer and lose their minds that it’s virtually impossible they’ll win again next year. Then you’re disappointed that no one seems willing to commiserate with you and your sound logic.

You seem to miss the point of celebrating and taking in an historic moment. Don’t worry, we’ll be back to the doldrums of reality soon enough, perfectly willing to be saddened by your cynicism.

6 Likes

Clinton, 1996

1 Like

This, this, this.

If anyone sincerely doesn’'t understand the reaction or maybe wants to know why it matters, this is the best article I’ve come across so far that attempts to explain it: “I wasn’t expecting to burst into tears:” the surprisingly emotional experience of Clinton’s nomination - Vox

5 Likes

Indeed, many people are so freakin’ hell bent on being the harbingers of doom that they miss the immense historical significance of this nomination.

Yes, it’s not happening just the way I wanted it to, and it’s not ideal in many respects, but it IS happening.

It’s been a LONG time comin’ and the road to go is still quite long, but:

8 Likes

This is how the best politicians behave. It is a good thing.

A year ago most Americans, especially Democrats, were supporters of the TPP. As some of the details emerged, and the deal’s secrecy became increasingly grating, Americans across the spectrum (but not the ones in office) turned against it. That’s how political opinions change. Clinton was slow to the change, but that reflects the progress of the campaign, where she increasingly was exposed to/had to pay attention to the desires of the rank and file instead of her friends in office (and in the entertainment industry). She does seem to have heard the message clearly at this point.

Will she change again once in office? I don’t know, but the blanket assumption by many here that she’s merely posturing to hide her secret leanings seems less likely to me than that she has evolved on these issues the same as many of us have.

8 Likes

“the difference between stupid and intelligent people—and this is true whether or not they are well-educated—is that intelligent people can handle subtlety. They are not baffled by ambiguous or even contradictory situations—in fact, they expect them and are apt to become suspicious when things seem overly straightforward.”

• Neal Stephenson, The Diamond Age

One of the hallmarks of conservatism is that if a thing has been labeled “bad” at one point, it should keep that label forever. Trump’s positions may be straightforward, and Hillary’s may be more subtle and even contradict things she’s said in the past, but those aren’t necessarily bad things.

I’d rather have a “flip-flopping” politician who can admit that their previous position was wrong and that society’s morals evolve, than one who can’t ever be convinced that they are morally in the wrong.

9 Likes

Citation needed.

6 Likes

Don’t hold your breath, Millie.

6 Likes