Hippo gets a pumpkin for a Halloween treat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/10/hippo-gets-a-pumpkin-for-a-hal.html

3 Likes

sigh I whish I could watch the manatees snogging the pumpkin in real life. This is the most uplifting content I have seen on BB in a long time. It truely is.

I want to live in a flat with a glass wall to that aquarium. <3

6 Likes

How would the manatees feel about the view? :wink:

2 Likes

I sure hope those videos are a year old. Who would throw Jack into the maw of the beast right before Halloween? Won’t somebody think of the children?

2 Likes

The humans get their pumpkin-spice lattes before Halloween, so why not?

5 Likes

Last time I looked one in the eye, they seemed not to be impressed, or interested. But that might just be my anthropocentric perception. I have no the slightest how they really felt about me. Reading a manatees expression is like interpreting Beuys. In the dark. Without a headlamp. Wrapped in felt.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, I’m having a bit of a fraught afternoon, and your comment gave me a right good giggle.

2 Likes

There has to be some big money sport lurking in battles between pumpkin-chucker catapults and hippo defensive lines. Mix in some stock car racing and it’s a win!

2 Likes

The videos of hippos eating pumpkins are fun. But I truly hate zoos. The video of the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo really made me especially sad for the hippos living there. There does not appear to be any attempt to simulate their wild environment. Shame on Cheyenne Mountain Zoo.

1 Like

I see this and all I can think is: that hippo would gladly do to my skull what it’s doing to that pumpkin.

1 Like

Only out of self defense, if you were foolish enough to go messing with one; though inherently dangerous due to their size & strength, they’re not predators.

2 Likes

Hippos have a pretty expansive definition of what constitutes “messing with” them though:

4 Likes

5 Likes

My dislike of zoos aside, watching video of hippos crushing pumpkins is much more satisfying than video of hydraulic presses.

2 Likes

Yes, I know, not a manatee. But this is nice:

3 Likes

Thank you, I really enjoyed that! And several of the videos it led to.

2 Likes

That is sweet. I guess this is what First Contact will probably be like.

Maybe we need a new aquatic mammal entertainment show, called, “Manatee Idol”?

@Dragonfly, there are videos of Hippos crushing hydraulic presses?

@RickMycroft, Monster Trucks?

2 Likes

Haha, poor wording on my part, wudinit?

I expect one of the BB contributors to post this video shortly with the alliteratively satisfying title, “Look at this hydraulic press popping pumpkin pie puree… just look at it”:

Hippos are so much more interesting!

1 Like

I believe that I shall go to the next Halloween party as a hippopotamus. But I shall not partake of the pumpkin.

Come here, hippo. Wanna nice treat?

1 Like