Hogwarts' self-appointed professor of Defense Against Gender Studies beefs with actors

Oh, trust me, nobody here is giving Elon Musk a pass either.

8 Likes

True, but…

I’m trying to think of any other place I frequent where I would’ve learned about her nuttery. Pretty sure that outside the bbs, I would’ve only heard that she had said something “controversial”.

13 Likes

Is there a spell for social self-immolation?

Anyway, here’s a couple good overviews for anyone feeling out-of-the-loop:

and

10 Likes

She really is a waste of protein.

3 Likes

hermione-emma-watson

9 Likes

You know what they say about ten people sitting at a table with a nazi, and Helen Joyce has a provable history of antisemitism…

8 Likes

Given the trajectory former childhood actors often face, the continuing success and excellent reputations that Watson and Radcliffe both have speaks more about their inherent qualities than anything they might owe from their opportunity as children. Not that it’s the fault of former childhood actors who don’t do well, the experience is often traumatic and destabilizing.

12 Likes

“STFU Joanne” is the proper response to her BS.

7 Likes

Of the three of them which one used a pen name to evacuate a novel where they could gleefully write about someone being raped?

You did, Joanne.

13 Likes

I’ve never read any Harry Potter but I’m far to familiar with the whole series b/c “culture”. However I am now reading (well listening too) Ursula Le Guin’s Wizard of Earthsea, is it safe to assume I can just skip the Potter books now? Also I’m much less invested in whether or not Patrick Rothfuss ever finishes his Kingkiller chronicles. And I’m only halfway through the book so far.

9 Likes

Wow. Is it ever not projection?

12 Likes

No, current evidence would suggest it is not.

11 Likes

They are all very different series of books, with just a school of magic and wizards in common.

No need to read HP if you’re not interested, but it’s not as if the Earthsea books make it redundant, or vice versa.

If you give the Potter books a try, just remember to get them second hand, so that JKR doesn’t benefit.

13 Likes

If you want wizarding school, I prefer the Scholomance. Trilogy and Mark of the Fool (J.M. Clarke). Both very different from Potter, like Earthsea.
I used to like Potter, particularly the audiobooks. I was never a huge fan. But then asshole-on-high opened her gob to spew her vitriol and she ruined them all for me.

9 Likes

Daniel Radcliff has said he used his Harry Potter money to take whatever part appeals to him.

10 Likes

I just finished The Narrow Road Between Desires this morning, so I’m feeling a particular pang of longing for the KKC to get wrapped up. I look forward to anything Rothfuss publishes, I love his voice.

Le Guin is a master, though, you can’t go wrong with the Earthsea books. I need to read more of her works beyond that.

If you are looking for another (completed) series to scratch the fantasy itch after you’re done with Earthsea, I really liked Brent Week’s Lightbringer series.

11 Likes

Earthsea reserved, lightbringer borrowed. Thanks for the recommendations!

6 Likes

My pleasure, I hope you enjoy the books. Happy cake day!

4 Likes

The annoying part is, the HP books were good. If they’d been around when I was a kid I’d have loved them, and I enjoyed reading them as an adult (Although they’re definitely kids/YA books). Not perfect sure, but better than a lot of the stuff that was aimed at kids when they came out, and I suppose the real benefit was the increase in YA books that didn’t suck.
Anyway, if we’re listing alternatives, there’s The Magicians by Lev Grossman, (although the main character is a selfish git). It got made into a TV series which did a good job of taking the books in a different, and completely bonkers direction.

5 Likes

That’s good to know, because I liked the TV series quite a bit and thought I wouldn’t be able to enjoy the books, knowing all the plot points.

2 Likes