"Hope literacy," "functional denial" and other ways to keep going in this difficult time

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/15/dual-mind.html

10 Likes

I know people who talk like this, this sort of thing seems like second nature to them. They’ve been marching for civil rights, for the environment, against wars, for 30 years or more.

Its not as if I hear any of these people say any particular protest is going to be the one that matters, that tips over the hundredth monkey… rather, it becomes part of their identity.

Fuckin’ extroverts!

6 Likes

“Hope literacy,” “functional denial” and other ways to keep going in this difficult time

I use Whiskey, it really keeps me in the game. Oh look, it’s happy hour someplace…

4 Likes

I can’t drink. But boy I wish I could.

5 Likes

This sounds like how I’ve been working the last year and a half.

Also:

“When in doubt, bake a cake for the volunteers.”

10 Likes

Also:

4 Likes

Just had a long conversation with my 14 year old about gun violence and the NRA and what , if anything, can be done to improve the situation. I think we could both use some uplift now.

Please send cake.

5 Likes

6 Likes

That looks delicious. Cake is good.

I’m supposed to be outside building some steps, but maybe I’ll stay in and bake. If I have any cocoa powder it’s all over.

5 Likes

It’s fricken cold here, so i vote bake. Then again I vote bake if the day ends with y. :grin::cupcake:

5 Likes

Things are grim, but far from beyond hope.

Cake:

The NRA has take an incredible beating over the last year. Their ad agency / propaganda wing – creators of NRA TV – is out, after charges of overcharging. NRA head LaPierre has been accused of living high on the hog.

Cake:

People are pissed. Pissed and motivated.

Cake:

We need to be less scared, more outraged and indignant, and above all motivated.

The entire GOP needs to feel the pain next year. In state legislatures, the House, the Senate, the White House, in DA and AG races, judgeships, the whole thing.

Cake:

10 Likes

Some combination of wine, wining, and whining usually works for me and my friends (depending on how much of the first we’ve had). :wine_glass::dancer::woozy_face:

4 Likes

4 Likes

The election results this year gave me hope that next year will be even better. Until it was highlighted in the news, I had no idea that the GOP had been in control of this area since the Civil War.

2 Likes

I try to remind myself that before we get to the Star Trek world, we must pass through some version of the Mad Max world. People eventually figure out that some ideas work better than other ideas. Eventually. Four, five generations, tops.

1 Like

I am so far gone that my first thought was that the first cake picture, with the smarties making up the number four, were missing a few more smarties to complete the swastika. And now it’s time to binge the final season of Man in the High Castle.

1 Like

KBO.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.