Horrifying video of cops trying to pry baby away from mom all because she sat on the floor

It allows the cops and administrators to exercise authority in order to express their opinion of those they see as the pathetic underachievers in society who don’t deserve the handout they’re getting.

6 Likes

You can probably just skip the “bully” part of the “bully cops” tag. It’s given.

4 Likes

Fucking rabid animals, there is no humanity there.

1 Like

A woman with an infant should not need to ask for a seat, or need someone else to ask.

4 Likes

Did none of these people go to pre-school?

No grabbing! Use. Your. Words.

4 Likes

Goddammit! I had to stop watching because I wanted to wring the fucking neck of that piece of shit pig yanking on the baby like he was a door handle. There’s someone who needs to meet a semi truck at high speed.

That’s your contribution to this? Thanks for that. Have a nice day Captain.

3 Likes

Or someone could of said, “Madam, have my seat. Please!” and ended the shit show right there.

GIGO, dude; consider the source.

Yeah… it goes without saying that this incident should have never happened, and in an ideal world where life is actually fair and equitable, it would not have happened; but that ain’t the world we live in, sadly.

8 Likes

The police would probably book the chair-giver for aiding and abetting.

13 Likes

What ever happen to people giving up a chair for a lady with a baby?

2 Likes

somehow i don’t think the problem was a lack of brainpower. i generally try not to assume malice when stupidity will fit the circumstances, but the uptick in petty racist bullshit along with the increase in law enforcement displays of power makes me think that any solution that didn’t end up with the officer ripping the child from her arms would not have been mean enough or racist enough to suit him. he got to use exactly the force he wanted to use.

8 Likes

Please note: I am not tasking anyone here. I am taking this opportunity to see if I can get anywhere working on a bit of reverse engineering. From the ABC news link provided in the OP, the usual:

Department of Social Services Commissioner Steven Banks released the following statement:
“HRA centers must be safe havens for New Yorkers needing to access benefits to improve their lives. I am deeply troubled by the incident and a thorough review was launched over the weekend to get to the bottom of what happened…The HRA Peace Officers who were involved in this incident are currently on leave, and they will be placed on modified duty when they return to work pending our investigation of what happened.”

Banks’ department on Twitter.

Mayor de Blasio on Twitter

I think most public officials count on us working stiffs having no time or energy to pound the drum for justice as constantly or as loudly as is necessary to keep media attention on an issue like this.

Alternet is on the case, so yay on that:
https://www.alternet.org/human-rights/nypd-yanks-baby-mothers-arms-during-confrontation-food-stamp-office-theyre-hurting-my

WABC in New York contact page:

which lists a phone number: 917-260-7700

Dunno if they are going to do a followup. We have the WABC reporter’s name: Naveen Dhaliwal (FTA).

4 Likes

We would have to arrest every child who comes to one of our library’s story times, and a fair number of the parents too. SMH.

8 Likes

Privilege is a hell of a drug. It can convince people that because they have a home, or are white, or straight, or cis, ect… that what authoritarians do to others won’t eventually be done to them. They’re blindness is tragic for everyone.

7 Likes

First They Came, by Martin Niemöller:

The coward’s lament.

A cautionary tale, if ever there was one.

9 Likes

They’ve had fifty years to reform themselves since the “unrest” of the '60s.

Training is not the problem. A privileged class of unaccountable thugs is the problem.

The whole concept of public safety in this country needs to be reinvented from scratch.

MY SUGGESTION: No cop unions. At-will employees are out the door when they abuse power.

11 Likes

Down here in Argentina if you’re carrying a baby or toddler you get the seat, you get on/off the bus first, and you get to go to the front of the check out line.
In a stressful bureaucratic office where everyone’s waiting more than they ever wanted to, you’d probably have to go to someone who worked there and gently insist that they go get your number changed to ‘the next one being called’, but it does happen pretty regularly.
But we digress- the police cannot be allowed to get away with this.

4 Likes

unfortunately these types of rules and laws seem to me to be specifically crafted to target and oppress minorities or enforce classism, and are selectively applied expressly for the convenience of that enforcing those biases.

I agree. sad that more often than not the difference between “standing around” and loitering is skin color or appearance of lack of money. how can standing around not commiting a crime be a crime? smdh. laws of oppression, that’s how.

she ticked 3 boxes, not white, not male, not immediately apparent as wealthy or entitled.

a clean white male in a business suit could have taken a god damn nap on that floor. this shit makes me fucking furious. add the child into the mix and i’m livid. humans need to be better to each other.

on a side note, this sounds like the beginning of a bad pirate joke. ol’poo leg willy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Paid leave, so the usual punishment i see. hopefully more to come.

8 Likes

Or vote…

1 Like