Horse breaks loose on Boeing 747, forces flight to turn around

Originally published at: Horse breaks loose on Boeing 747

2 Likes

See, kids? It’s not just an empty threat!

6 Likes

9 Likes

Re boing!

1 Like

The two people in that first picture look suspiciously like Derek and Julianne Hough.

Finally, a good use for AI…

3 Likes

Half a century ago, I was a 19 yo on my first overseas business trip to the Netherlands. I was due to head to Sweden after that, but my boss called in the middle of the night and let me know that was cancelled, and that I should just have a “fun” time in Europe for the remaining week. Not yet being much of an international traveler (and having hid in the hotel so far, except when I had to go to the customer site), the next morning I book the first available flight back to the US, a Finnair flight to JFK. It was a creaky old 707, with all of about 30 seats and a full partition blocking off the front of the plane, from which there would occasionally be some odd noises. When we reached cruising altitude, I ask one of the flight attendants (who were all wearing fur hats, as one would expect) what was behind the partition. She nonchalantly replied that it was a herd of reindeer, which of course it would be. I’m happy to report, no reindeer broke loose during that flight.

11 Likes

The surprising part of this story for me was that it took place on a 747. There are relatively few of these still in passenger service these days since smaller, more efficient jets are so much cheaper to operate. There are actually more Douglass DC-3’s still in use than there are 747 passenger planes.

7 Likes

Was the horse flying stagecoach?

Sorry to saddle you with that, these posts just spur me on.

7 Likes

Try to rein in your enthusiasm, ok cowboy?

8 Likes

The good news is - he didn’t see a snake on the plane…

2 Likes

Tour of a KLM passenger cargo hybrid plane

It’s like a horse trailer except it’s flying. The horse bit starts at slightly before 11m in.

4 Likes

Air Atlanta Icelandic is a cargo carrier, they operate 747-400F aircraft exclusively. [source]

3 Likes

Just to complete the circuit here – Icelandic (t)horses, once transported out of Iceland, may not return. They are protective of their tölters.

3 Likes

Flight was destined for Belgium, so no problem there. The home base of the charter company is the only link to Iceland.

1 Like

If horses were meant to fly …
Well, I think they would make their own arrangements.

2 Likes

Wait… so no one whipped out their phone and stared videoing the fracas?

1 Like

Please curb your words, or you’ll stirrup a bit of trouble.

3 Likes

Now we’re just flogging a dead horse.

1 Like

This companion-animal thing has gone too far

1 Like