Hour-long Brony retrospective covers it all

Originally published at: Hour-long Brony retrospective covers it all | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Nah, there are still pony conventions, though they are much smaller than during the heyday of the show’s popularity. And while the fandom’s peak has undoubtedly passed, there’s still a lot of people creating fanart, fan music, fanfics and so on.

4 Likes

This one, available on YouTube as well, is also excellent and professional.

1 Like

Or there’s Jenny Nicholson’s… “documentary”?

5 Likes

My kid was into the show when it was popular. I took her to two different conventions in KC, and combined with a Planet Comiccon outing, we managed to get autographs of the Mane Six and some side characters. Her mom took her to a dance party at one of them.

Overall they were fun, and everyone seemed pretty cool.

I will say Tabitha St. Germain, who played Rarity (and Princess Luna/Nightmare Moon and a bunch of side characters) is a treat. A true thespian! She was super friendly to the kids who were there.

I don’t think there was any - um - clopping at these events. Which is something I don’t have a problem with per se - except when you have a mixed aged group of fans, it really needs to be segregated.

2 Likes

Tabitha St.Germain is awesome.

Nerdy MLP:FiM trivia time – Rarity speaks with a “Mid-Atlantic” accent that nobody else – not her family, not the other residents of Ponyville where she grew up, not the social elites of Canterlot she aspires to – uses. It’s a fake accent she picked up in her youth to seem sophisticated, and now it’s just a part of who she is.

In the episode “Simple Ways” Rarity, for reasons too complicated and silly to go into here, presents herself as, basically, a stereotypical hick, complete with an outrageously bad “country” accent. And here’s the best part – her usual accent leaks through when she gets flustered or angry. It’s a marvellous bit of voice-acting, and funny as heck. :smiley:

The fandom’s been unusually good at keeping adult stuff separate. I’m not sure if it’s still ongoing, but there used to be a community-driven effort, Safe Search Wrap-Up, where people googled various characters from the show with safe search active, and reported any NSFW stuff that showed up, so it would get excluded from future search results.

4 Likes

She’s been in a TON of shows as a voice actor. Even cartoons I used to watch back in the day (which I didn’t realize at the time, I should have done better research).

I believe I saw the video someone listed above - the fandom autopsy - showed some large conventions were stuff was more out in the open. IIRC there was self censoring to a degree, but there were still some things in the open I’d not like to expose my kid to. But like I said, other than I think a closed adult portfolio for prints, i don’t think I recall anything like that at the local cons.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.