How animators create realism by exaggerating movement

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/22/how-animators-create-realism-b.html

7 Likes

I should hope so; Roger Rabbit was a very conscious effort to imitate animation styles of the past, including very deliberate homages to animators like Chuck Jones and Tex Avery.

4 Likes

There’s not much to view yet, but his current project is being animated as realistically as possible –

9f695a9e2e

6 Likes

There has been much hilarity found in freeze-framing Disney films. Another thing largely lost in CG.
11-times-freeze-framing-disney-movies-led-to-unbridled-hilarity

5 Likes

It’s not really a technique that’s common in the industry. In fact it’s a technique that nearly bankrupted the it’s pioneer on several occasions.

I can’t believe that an animated GIF taken from a perfectly looped animation wasn’t properly looped. Disappointing.

6 Likes

I remember watching that animation of A Christmas Carol when I was a kid and being blown away by the drawings. If you like animation that is well worth finding and watching.

3 Likes

giphy which i use only allows clipping by 1/10th of a second, not by frame. other suggestions welcome.

1 Like

Hi Andrea. The animation has a perfect loop of exactly 1 second. You can start anywhere after the dachshund is in its place (and at least one second before the title appears). So, even if Giphy only allows clipping by 1/10th of a second, it works perfectly for this particular loop. See my settings below, I set the duration to 1.0 seconds, starting at 00:07.

The resulting GIF is here, it is a perfect loop:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.