How could Lex Luthor beat the import controls on kryptonite

All that stuff is low budget though, so they are willing to take chances and give a little more leeway to interesting writers. Abrams started there and it shows when you need to trim your with down to 44 minutes every week and still work on a larger arc at the same time with no effects.

Why DC never just took their animated team and transitioned then to live action I’ll never know.

5 Likes

I’m still holding out hope that the super-pendulum will eventually swing back from “Dark and Gritty” back toward “Campy Fun” so we can get a live action movie that captures the same spirit that Batman: The Brave and the Bold did.

2 Likes

"But even in the midst of this truly insane study of the repercussions of idealization of myth making, there is also a movie about the existence of gods and the need to deal with them, a movie where democracy does not just fail but is completely incapable of dealing with the world we live in - which is necessary because that IS the world we live in, and furthermore then how does one operate above the law when the law itself has failed? - Stories of San Francisco/Silicon Valley types, Billionaires and Immigrant/Aliens where furthermore the latter two are manipulated to fight by the first one (sound familiar?) - aliens being misrecognized as terror when in reality terror is right in front of you (also quite familiar). But also moments of compassion/realization - that a billionaire can relate to an alien/immigrant, and even farther - that the billionaire recognizes himself in the alien. That’s a pretty big step!"http://letterboxd.com/neilbahadur/film/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice/

This has been one of my favorite twitters recently: https://twitter.com/BatLabels

The sheer density of gags in that show was impressive.

4 Likes

Still waiting for that show to come to Netflix or Amazon Prime Streaming video. I may have to just bite the bullet and buy it on Blu-Ray.

2 Likes

Plus GotG made its money a bit more evenly: BvS made a ton of money on first-week seers, but…no-one’s going to see it twice and it seems like the majority of the people who wanted to see it have already, given that its now losing to The Boss, which…hardly seems like its a breakout hit everyone’s scrambling to see.

2 Likes

Whatever happened to him?

2 Likes

I’ve found that when someone wants to critique a movie and can’t quite pinpoint

Lack of story that connects with a general audience? Cost-benefit-promotion-brand-investment-wise, Deadpool was about people and much, much more profitable.

It’s fine that you liked BvS. I don’t feel a strong need to burst what I feel to be your bubble.

4 Likes

You say that as if I’m the only person in America who thought it was worthwhile, whereas it’s one of the best performing movies of the year so far. I might be the only one in the room, but not the only one out there, by a long shot. That said, most of the people I hear complaining about it haven’t even watched it, which is amusing.

It was undoubtedly more profitable! They smartly kept their movie under the radar at the studio and it was widely expected to underperform, and they kept costs very, very low (comparatively). It’s unbelievably profitable, astoundingly so, and boy, do I applaud them. And if I was still 14 years old, I would’ve loved the movie, too.

2 Likes

So we’re only going to go “Man, 90% of the reviews and personal anecdotes said this was a stinking turd!!” if we’re willing to pop down $16 each and give up 3 hours of lives first?

2 Likes

At this point I’m baffled as to what they’re even trying to convey with that babble. I think the author heard about this movie, talked to some people who saw it, and decided “wow! I’m gonna go hog wild on this review, boy howdy. Wait till they hear my fruit ventriloquism metaphor.”

2 Likes

It’s a movie review. If you went and read the article, you would see the author saw the movie and this is part of their account to convey how badly done it was.

I could post another 15 or so bombastic reviews of how bad it was if it was meaningful. I only posted it because another commentator was quoting someone about the pure joy of the movie so I figured we were down to dueling quotes.

2 Likes

If LexCorp (the core company) tried to import it for industrial purposes, perhaps they would have difficulty. But if Luthor Medical (a division of LexCorp specializing in medical R&D) partnered with the CDC to research how to treat or cure the cancer caused by exposure to kryptonite radiation (there certainly seems to be enough around for the government to be concerned) they might be able to get access to some of the government’s supply.

2 Likes

That is a somewhat (even tortuously) long vegetable store metaphor in lieu of any actual concrete examples of what’s incomprehensible about the film. He quibbles with Lex’s motivation for hating Superman, but let’s look again at the almost universally admired DARK KNIGHT. The Joker’s motivation in that picture for practically taking over and razing a large metropolitan city is apparently to demonstrate to the “planners and the schemers” that their grasp on reality and civilization is far more tenuous than they imagined. Or something. He could have just written a think-piece for the New Yorker. In comparison, Lex’s Oedipal desire to kill God the father, conjoined with his ambitions as a military industrial contractor to develop weapons of deterrence against the threat (real or exaggerated) of Meta-Humans, is a model of the comprehensible.

1 Like

We’re not discussing the Dark Knight, which you will note that most people, including critics, did not hate.

2 Likes

Well, fair enough, but you might as easily say “We’re discussing the film DAWN OF JUSTICE, and not 50 years of Superman and Batman comics” and shut down about 90% of the previous comments.

1 Like

Despite being incomprehensible.

Ok. Well, the movie is shit and it’s being beat out in the market by “The Boss” now.

1 Like

I’m betting it will top Deadpool, but given the response, I’m thinking it won’t be by much.

I mean, The Boss? There’s literally nothing else in theatres right now and people are staying home instead of BvS.

1 Like