How debate changes minds, no matter who wins

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/09/02/how-debate-changes-minds-no-m.html

1 Like

that peculiar Southern subculture of the embattled Mississippi Democrat, a pugnacious sort who plays darts and drinks whiskey while wearing penny loafers and forces smiles meant to fool no one.

The median “embattled Mississippi Democrat” cannot play bar games, cannot be seen to drink in the fashion of the good ole boys, and cannot wear penny loafers because they’d clash with the tailored business suit that is the “embattled Mississippi Democrat’s” mandatory work uniform.

The reason for this is that the median Mississippi Democrat is black–virtually the entire state party membership is black–and black politicians with a backslapping attitude and a drink in their hands are treated very differently than white ones are.

I know Parker Wiseman personally (if not well). He’s a good guy and he was a decent mayor. His efforts to bring about some social change to Starkville were helped by the fact that it was already sort of a liberal enclave, being a university town with lots of transplanted Yankee know-it-alls (like me), but hey, that’s not a mark against him.

But DO NOT mistake him for anything remotely typical of the “Mississippi Democrat.” He has had a different, and in most ways a much easier, row to hoe. I think highly enough of him to think that he’d tell you the same thing.

20 Likes

TL;DL;

Anybody have a transcript?

2 Likes

Counterpoint: Donald Trump.

Yeah, would love this in text format.

1 Like

The best kinds of debating are the mass debating. Yet one does so by themselves. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hate that BoingBoing constantly posts recordings without a transcript. It makes it impossible for those who are hearing impaired to access the content and it is annoying for those who would rather read than listen-- reading for most people is far faster.

5 Likes

WTF?
How did you know I was, uh, asking for a friend? :no_mouth:

1 Like

Sadly, talking is faster than writing and editing. It’s not about the optimal means to consume content, it’s about the cheapest way to produce content. Since automated transcription is still error-prone enough to require a lot of human intervention – or at least error-prone enough that people are still willing to pay other people to transcribe audio – I don’t think we’ll see more transcripts any time soon.

Professional general-purpose transcription rates are about $1/audio minute (medical transcription runs into the $2-3 range).
From experience, the ratio of recording time to transcription time is about 1:3. Just to give people a point of reference.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.