How did Reuters get that shot of Martin Shkreli's perp-walk?

I would, thinking about it. It would be neat to have him just disappear, might keep the other pharma guys on their toes…

6 Likes

One could argue that’s been their business model for a decade now…

1 Like

The other half of their business model was a complex Underwear Gnomes style system of getting everyone’s address and then profit.

1 Like

Drumming up sympathy for the douchebag of the year award winner Shkreli is going to be a little tough.

8 Likes

Wu-Tang Clan ain’t nothin’ to fuck with.

9 Likes

all the more plausible considering this is apparently a real stipulation of the contract Shkreli signed:

The buying party also agrees that, at any time during the stipulated 88year period, the seller may legally plan and attempt to execute one (1) heist or caper to steal back Once Upon A Time In Shaolin, which, if successful, would return all ownership rights to the seller. Said heist or caper can only be undertaken by currently active members of the Wu-Tang Clan and/or actor Bill Murray, with no legal repercussions

now, maybe the Wu orchestrating the arrest is farfetched, and then again, maybe it isn’t. but clearly, NOW iS THE TiME TO STRiKE!

9 Likes

I always thought it was supposed to be pronounced “WeeJəh”

1 Like

I don’t think anybody’s arguing.

Well, the argument of Radio Shack as a useful place for parts has certainly been decided.

1 Like

The two most interesting questions he lists:

“…What was the … purpose in leaking the time and place of the arrest? How does this instance fit into the pattern of which arrests get leaked and which don’t?..”

You sure? Last time I was in Radio Shacks was a couple of years ago, and they had long-since shifted over to 99.5% cellphone stores, but in the back of the rooms there were always two large shop cabinets in the back with the rolling drawers that had all you resistors, diodes, mini breadboards and whatnot.

The cellphone guys behind the counter were always pretty confused as to what the hell I was looking for, but they always rang it up just fine.

4 Likes

If we want rule of law and protections of due process to work, we have to extend them even to people we think are assholes.

1 Like

16 Likes

Do US police actually use non-encrypted broadcast radios to communicate their intent to arrest person A at location B? You’d think that a phone would be better for that purpose.

2 Likes

I’m not sure why a possible breach of duty has to be the story. Shkreli’s an enormous asshole who’s been charged with a crime.

2 Likes

checking again… nope, outrage-meter barely twitching. seriously, there are many other, much bigger problems with law enforcement in this country, such as private for profit prisons, the racist drug war, and rampant police brutality. and how exactly does this erode due process? the photo was shot in a public space in one of the most densely populated areas of the world, not in the privacy of his apartment, or even inside the apartment building. it’s out in the street for anyone to see. so the journos might have been tipped off? cry me a river.

Edited to add: actually I do have a concern, it’s that the leak could have compromised the arrest and, though unlikely, could have led to him fleeing. I have zero concerns as far as his privacy is concerned, once you are wanted for or under arrest it is in fact a matter of public record, no reason why journos shouldn’t know and in fact, they should be made aware so they can cover it. So in short, this guy Ken White is barking up the wrong tree.

1 Like

Sure, but who makes that call and how do you tell the officers on the streets? They have three digit codes for a lot of things, but like someone else mentioned, an address is all any good reporter needs to hear.

1 Like

Normally Popehat is known for critical, thoughtful analysis…but neglecting the possibility of a jogger selling a phone snap to Reuters in favour of some convoluted conspiracy seems out of character.

1 Like

My theory is that this is exacly what you said, but

is actually a promo for an upcoming Bill Murray reality heist documentary, for which Wu-Tang has done the soundtrack. .

He’s coming for reality itself.

4 Likes

Update:

Martin Shkreli Resigns as CEO of Turing Pharmaceuticals

Buh-bye!

3 Likes