How does the iPhone 6s camera compare to every Apple smartphone before it?

[Read the post]

If this review shows an improvement over the old camera, then why should I read it before getting the new iPhone?

Your pitch implies that there is some catch that Iā€™ll want to know about, but the blurb goes on to gush about the massive improvement it makes.

What message were you trying to convey?

2 Likes

You wonā€™t believe what they found! The answers will shock you!

9 Likes

Meanwhile, battery life is still a joke.

4 Likes

I donā€™t really understand the point of advertising iPhones.

Everybody knows that they exist.

Everybody knows that this yearā€™s model improves on last yearā€™s.

Legions of people in media fall all over themselves to praise and promote them, apparently out of enthusiasm.

The ad buy seems entirely superfluous.

1 Like

My friend has terrible battery problems with the 5 or 5s (before they became reasonable sized) - is that still an issue?

Curiosity, interest in the technology. You donā€™t have to know how it is better exactly to reap the benefit, but if someoneā€™s already buying it, itā€™s interesting to know if there are any quirks to it, or how one could expect to see differences in the results.

Battery is a joke because if anyone bothered putting a decent size battery in people would bitch endlessly at this ā€˜brickā€™ they have in their pants. Nevermind it being apparently mandatory to have a protective cover, that often as not INCLUDES a battery extender.

2 Likes

iOS9 is supposed to ameliorate that somewhat.

I figured the plus modelā€™s screen would allow a reasonable capacity in behind itā€¦

I hear you, but for some reason the wording bothered me.

I must be cranky so, in the absence of a stiff drink, Iā€™ll get some rest.

Please forgive me!

1 Like

I just want to know if they really come with gummi bears. Can I get some if I buy an iPhone?

3 Likes

I charge my 5s up in the morning; unless Iā€™m streaming lots of video or playing tons of heavy-CPU games, itā€™s good all day until late evening. Is thatā€¦ bad?

3 Likes

Well I only sleep every other night, so when I charge my iPhone overnight, it usually runs out of power in the middle of the next day, which makes me so angry I have to go find a blog post about Android phones and post in the comments how bad their phones are.

3 Likes

How does the iPhone camera compare? Hereā€™s a handy cheat sheet that hasnā€™t been wrong for a few generations.

Compared to the previous iPhone:
A bit better. You frankly wonā€™t notice but it keeps improving.

Against an older iPhone:
Very nice! Youā€™ll like it.

Against every other smartphone ever:
Above average, probably one of the best choices if you care about image quality.

There you are. You could go and actually test things if youā€™re a super image nerd (you know who you are), but Iā€™ll bet these guidelines will still be accurate for at least a few years.

The iPhone 6 Plus in particular has a much bigger battery than the ones before. Not huge in capacity compared to other giant-phones, but much improved in actual use time. Less so for the ā€œsmallā€ 6.

Looks like the 6S and 6S Plus have very similar battery life to the previous generation, so these examples should remain relevant:

3 Likes

Switching from 8 to 9 has given me an extra couple hours of battery life a day. As a heavy user, I have definitely noticed improvements from ad blockers, low power mode, and whatever other secret mojo goes into an OS update.

3 Likes

I was very surprised when he complained because I had the impression that Apple battery life was exceptionally good.

Iā€™m certain it varies enormously from user to userā€¦

That portrait closeup is just nasty. A sea of artifacts.

my new hipster band name

1 Like

It varies massively depending on usage. If Iā€™m just using web, email, and phone via wifi, occasional snapshots etc, I get a good 8-10 hrs of battery life. But if Iā€™m on LTE or 4G, it drops to 3-4 hrs of heavy use. But still, even on standby, I get 6-8 hrs on LTE before a recharge.

2 Likes