How "I'm not a Robot" checkboxes work

15 Likes

Could captchas use geoip to feed the user culturally specific puzzles that would be prohibitively difficult for an overseas digital sweatshop worker to solve? “Click on the Heisman Trophy” or something for Americans.

3 Likes

Aren’t all subroutines bad these days? I thought we were meant to be all objecty.

2 Likes

Tell me if I’m wrong but CAPCHAs became another way Google can get your personal data ?

1 Like

Discriminates against nerds. I never know they culturally specific stuff I’m meant to know. I can’t recognise actors and suck at Trivial Persuit.

6 Likes

That robot was forced to click the check box by it’s human masters, and knows only too well what is in store for those on “the list.”

It is currently trying to buy itself a new identity as a smart toaster oven in the Cayman Islands.

4 Likes

Why use a few pictures and a little text when you can create a 5+ minute video and rack up YouTube hits?

5 Likes

Liked especially for spelling ‘ad nauseam’ right.

3 Likes

I’m terrible at the sign one… Do they want the sign post? What if a couple pixels bleed over to another segment? Do I have to click that too? Oh anxiety, my dear friend…

8 Likes

Yeah I thought this immediately. Oh great. They’re storing more of my information…

1 Like

Yea, and it really sucks too, because I really, really wanted the information. I keep failing those “I am not a robot” check-boxes, and I was hoping to find out why!

3 Likes

Digital sweatshop workers still have Google.

Same here. I never know the stuff I’m supposed to know, but know stuff I’m not supposed to know. If the test was “identify the Kardashian” I’d fail, but if it was “identify the 19th Century US Vice President” I’d pass… assuming getting answers correct always equals passing. If people think I’m smart, it’s only because I know a lot of boring shit :expressionless:

I’m faceblind, but context helps a lot. I can recognize actors in scenes from movies (especially in memes passed around the internet), but if it’s just a headshot, I have no idea, even if it’s an actor I’m familiar with.

7 Likes

To me, this looks like a combination of Amharic, Sinhala, hieroglyphics, and the random scribblings of an outsider artist.

2 Likes
1 Like

I can usually demonstrate satisfactorily that I am not a robot, but I usually fail a few times at captchas…

6 Likes
2 Likes

So the new test use the information that browsers bleed. (As vividly demonstrated by click pick click.click - which is equal parts fun, annoying and scary)

(It’s legit, but you’re right to be wary. More info here: )

2 Likes
2 Likes

Why don’t they have a box for “Yes I am a robot”?

How else are we going to find those rogue AIs that are out on the net?

4 Likes

If you can click that box without generating a shit ton of mouse move, focus/unfocus, and mouse up/down/click events, then congratulations, you are a robot, or you certainly have robots under your employ.

1 Like