How is Bible pro-life if God turned pregnant women away from ark? Man at March for Life rally is stumped

Originally published at: How is Bible pro-life if God turned pregnant women away from ark? Man at March for Life rally is stumped | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Is this poor schnook an actual priest or is he just cosplaying one for the demonstration? Whatever he is, he ain’t no Jesuit.

35 Likes

Indeed. I am not particularly religious, but was raised Presbyterian and know enough to be able to shut down this line of questioning. (Basically, the OT doesn’t count according to biblical scholars. It’s all different now thanks to the sacrifice of Jesus).

It is amusing how little these supposed fundamentalists know about their own religion.

26 Likes

Ken’s Guide to the Bible is a great book that compiles all the crazy shit in the Bible into one slim volume. In the back it has an “Anti-Abortionists’ Horror Concordance” that has a listing of all the times that God demands the slaughter of children and infants; if I recall, there are 10-12 entries.

32 Likes

If the Old Testament is no longer valid, then the Ten Commandments (as one example) are also invalid. Is that correct?

16 Likes

Yep. Correct.

7 Likes

17 Likes

I remember people used to say, for example, that nothing in Leviticus is valid these days, except the part about gays, that clause is eternal.

24 Likes

Theoretically yes. Depending on which gospel you read, the later authors claimed there were only two things required – love of Jesus, and love of your neighbor. This is insufficient for most Xians, because what’s the point of hell if the people you don’t like aren’t in it?

Oh. And just because the covenant is void doesn’t mean YWH didn’t do it.

13 Likes

How is the Bible “pro-life” if it says killing ANY animals is okay?

16 Likes

The Battle of Jericho is what I like to point to.

It’s straight up Religious Genocide.

19 Likes

The Dominionists take it as confirmation of their worldview, that their flavour of Invisible Bearded Sky Man™ created everything on Earth to be used and exploited ed by humans (especially white Xtianist male humans) as they wish.

They still run into the same issue this idiot does about The Big Guy’s penchant for killing foetuses and demanding child sacrifice, but the rest of it fits in with their twisted and narrow-minded theology.

15 Likes

I, for one, am shocked (SHOCKED!) to hear that Israelites were engaged in religious genocide. /S

6 Likes

Unitarian Universalist here. The Universalist part means universal salvation - i.e. no such thing as hell. I never could understand how god could be a “loving god” and still condemn more than half of creation just because they had the bad luck to be born into the wrong religion.

UU’s are pretty much all over the theological map these days, but I do love the idea of a god who has not stomach for hell.

24 Likes

So…am I misinterpreting or wasn’t the flood sort of a “Let’s just nip this in the bud before it all goes to shit” moment? It was a preemptive strike! :man_shrugging:

20 Likes

Sort of the Bronze-Age version of “nuke it from orbit”?

21 Likes

The Bible is pretty clear (at least in the original texts) that fetuses are not the same as children, and injuring a woman to cause the loss of a fetus is an offense against the woman (who was hoping to have a child), not murder. Modern Protestants have pretty much made up their “pro-life” position out of thin air, with no support from their religious text. (If you look at the passages they cite as support, it’s incredibly tortured.)

32 Likes

In fact, Old Testament YHWH demanded animal sacrifice at the temple. On at least one occasion he ordered human sacrifice, but he was all “JK LOL” at the last minute.

22 Likes

Such an Edge Lord.

25 Likes

Yeah. Good one, God.

17 Likes