How Marie Kondo folds a fitted sheet

Originally published at: How Marie Kondo folds a fitted sheet | Boing Boing

1 Like

You see the problem here is that fitted sheets spark absolutely no joy in my life whatsoever.

14 Likes

To me the thing has always been that I really don’t care what a folded fitted sheet looks like in the linen closet where no one will ever see it, because I am not a psychopath. If you buy one that is in fact properly fitted it will be stretched so there are no wrinkles when you put it on the bed where anyone might see it, so who cares how it was folded?

Edited for typo

16 Likes

“To keep things together when not in use, you can put everything in the pillowcase,” was a revelatory piece of advice for me years ago. Fold or wad up the fitted sheet (I think I might prefer the Japanese “box sheet” now that I’ve heard it), stuff it in the associated pillowcase along with everything else in the set, then throw it in the closet. Done and done.

11 Likes

I think that is exactly why she is so famous, she might advise to throw stuff away, but if you have to keep it, keep it tidy.
That folding technique is perfect for the considerably large half of my bedsheet collection that I will never use because they are not fashionable, but I must keep because they are a family heirloom.

1 Like

Heirloom sheets?

Eww? /h

5 Likes

i prefer Martha Stewart’s method, which doesn’t necessitate putting your clean sheet on the floor.

5 Likes

Especially a floor covered in carpet. ::shudder::

There appears to be many ways to fold fitted sheets, or to not even fold. The way I do it looks like magic to my family, but it works and the sheets fold up fairly tidy. :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

Honestly, why not? Folks do it with quilts and tapestries. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Quilts and tapestries in many cases are highly crafted one of a kind objects of desire. Worthy of saving.

Fabric sheets? Plain white, printed, king size, full size, twin? Unless produced by some magical loom I don’t see the point. Heirloom undies? Tee shirts?

Back to topic, I second the pillow case method. Built.in storage!

6 Likes

I remember some 70s Star Wars sheets my brothers would have wanted to keep for the grandkids if they hadn’t been laundered to death.

7 Likes

Probably not a problem in a Japanese household where outdoor shoes are removed at the entrance and a clean, indoor pair of slippers is worn after that.

We do something similar in the Fox den, and I’d have no qualms about folding sheets on the floor. We vacuum regularly and the bunnies are litter box trained, so at most there’d be a little fur, which isn’t a problem given they jump on the beds anyway. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

A fitted sheet in the linen closet doesn’t spark joy. Get rid of all your extra sheets and just put the one set you keep right back on the bed after laundering. Making the bed is already a chore. Don’t add an unnecessary one.

6 Likes

One set might be fine for a guest bed? I don’t always have hours to wait for clean sheets, there’s no way I’m living with a single set. (especially since laundry is not a daily/non-stop affair for my single self)

but then I never had issues with the folding part

1 Like

My local grocery store even sells “heirloom tomatoes”. As if I wanted tomatoes generations old as opposed to fresh ones!

5 Likes
3 Likes

Is that just for single beds? Not sure 3 pillowcases, a duvet cover and a fitted sheet will fit in one pillowcase…

1 Like

To fold the fitted sheet you must first become the fitted sheet.

11 Likes

We store the duvet covers and matching pillowcases separately. Most of our sheet sets are sheet, box sheet, and two pillowcases.

2 Likes

Be the linen change you want to see in the bedroom.

8 Likes