How the NYPD recriminalized marijuana after the state decriminalized it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/03/broken-windows.html

2 Likes

In before the requisite pointless criticisms of Cory’s writing/use of hyperbole and the inevitable claim that it’s ‘hashtag’ “Not All of the NYPD Hates Black People…”

The NYPD’s abysmal ‘track record’ with killing unarmed Black men seems to support that opinion:

• James Powell

• Amadou Diallo

• Eric Garner

• Malcolm Ferguson

• Patrick Moses Dorismond

• Ousmane Zongo

• Tim Stansbury

• Sean Bell

• Ramarley Graham

• Tamon Robinson

That’s just NYC, and it’s still not even close to being a complete list.

34 Likes

I think marijuana laws are bull crap. I think putting people in jail over marijuana is cruel and usually punishment.

I am amazed when I’m walking down the street and I smell weed or see someone smoking. I think to myself, “Are you crazy?!? Some cop is going to jack you up and hall you in.” Illegal or decriminalized, it doesn’t matter. Many people in the neighborhood do not like and the police are more than willing to come after someone smoking on the street. I wish they would smoke at home so that they do not have to go through the pain of being arrested. Don’t be so obvious.

3 Likes

Why don’t they just carry their weed in opaque containers?

3 Likes

Then they will make you open your opaque container, just like they had you turn out your pockets. Treating this problem like a Russian nesting doll isn’t going to fix it

The reminds me that I keep meaning to rewatch Requiem for a Dream. Maybe this weekend.

7 Likes

“open to public view”

wisdom_7

3 Likes
2 Likes

uP4cuEW

4 Likes

a war on a substance that induces giggling…? lol insane

2 Likes

Relevant wiki articles

(Yes, it’s not the US, but still relevant)

A cop can be anti racism as an individual, but as soon as they are no longer involved in a case then it gets handed on to someone else in an institutionally racist organisation. The anti racist cop could speak out against it, but they will be punished by other cops who want to keep the PD racist.

Nothing short of a full denazification will fix this at this point.

6 Likes

“Every cops a criminal, and all the sinners saints. I shouted out: Who killed them Kennedys. When after all it was you and me”.

1 Like

Pleased to meet you!

3 Likes

What was your name again? No, no, let me guess!

3 Likes

Totalitarian forces fear laughter.

1 Like

Look, man, I was just walking on that Grass Knoll; and I was carrying the silenced rifle for a friend; get offa my case, dude!

3 Likes

I completely agree. People should be able to smoke weed in bars and cafes like people drink beer. This society is poorly educated, irrational, and insane. What can we do but educate and provide treatment while avoiding the most dangerous with power governmental or otherwise.

3 Likes

Nah, Kennedy shot himself in order to prevent a time paradox. We all know this by now.

1 Like

Reefer madness? Suicide? Hopeless insanity? Jk, Here: have a healthy cigarette.

1 Like

Man, the Reefer looks some good stuff. Where can a score a shoe or a watch case?

1 Like

I’m going to carry a container full of snakes or bees.

1 Like