How to cut an avocado without hurting yourself

It was the first time i used mine. I was so pissed at myself i didn’t even wash it, i just threw it in the box. Reminds me i need to wash that thing lol.

On eating avocado peels, i can’t imagine that would taste nice. But can’t say i’ve ever tried.

1 Like

Seriously. If you’re going to go around cutting mandolins in half you better know how to do it properly. (What do you do with the pits BTW?)

12 Likes

Challenge accepted, Sir!

My choice of weapon is ripe avocado (with ghost pepper chili oil and fresh sourdough).

I shall meet you, with my second, at dawn.

Prepare to meet thy (guacamole) maker!

x 100.

People hurt themselves using the wrong knife for the job.

The knife in the video is the wrong knife for the job.

Use a sharp chef’s knife. Hold the avocado in your hand and thwack it.

For all the people saying you might cut yourself at that step: thwack it like the avocado isn’t there. Stop short of your hand. I can thwack into air without cutting my hand: I just stop before I enter flesh. You shouldn’t be thwacking so hard that it’s the avocado stone alone that’s preventing the knife from cutting off your hand.

Don’t put the avocado on the counter because that won’t end nicely. If you genuinely don’t trust your motor functions, just do the cut-into-quarters method. Never cut anything you’re not holding on to.

4 Likes

I’ve found the big, delicious ones like the one you pictured in Florida and Hawaii before.

1 Like

But sweet pickles?!? That seems wrong.

2 Likes

It is. They have no place in civilized society.

5 Likes

I’ve been doing that for 30+ years and never ever hurt myself. Maybe I have better aim than most.

Family members in the midwest keep telling me that the best thing ever are sweet or dill pickles soaked overnight in red kool-aid.

I am glad I’m not in the midwest.

5 Likes

Seriously. Let’s whack a big slippery seed with a sharp kitchen knife while we hold it. Yeah, that’ll stop the knife injuries :rolling_eyes:

I weep for the future.

2 Likes

Exactly. It’s the privilege of earlier generations to criticize later ones. Doing it themselves breaks the natural order and just shows how narcissistic millennials are. /s

3 Likes

3 Likes

Mandolin’s are super nasty. You’d best know what the fuck you are doing, but even then… That said, they do things that you can’t normally do.

1 Like

Avocados, no problem. How do you cut a mango? The pit is evil.

I rarely go for the “just an avocado half”. Usually putting it in salads or guac. So I always go for this method, and dice with the knife while holding the avocado in my hand (not the safest, but there you go)

I have NEVER cut myself while cutting an avocado, and I’ve been cooking for a family (different ones) and professionally (although not anymore) for well over 40 years.

Just saying.

1 Like

I don’t recall if i have specifically cut myself when slicing an avocado but i have poked myself with a knife cutting other stuff (but didn’t draw blood). I think having a healthy fear for the kitchen tools helps and being aware of one’s abilities. If i’m unsure on something i just assume i’m going to hurt myself and take precautions, the people that ignore this probably end up hurting themselves.

I don’t know. I think there are people on the other end of the spectrum who hurt themselves just as much: the people who are afraid of sharp knives, so they use “safer” dull ones, or people who are too afraid of the tool to learn how to use it safely, and so injure themselves through poor technique when they do have to use them.

Healthy respect for the dangers of a tool are fine, but unhealthy fear, IMO, is just as likely to lead to injury as a lack of respect.

2 Likes

If people are actually hurting themselves while cutting avocados, can I reiterate the minor but legit danger of crushing garlic with the flat of the knife? I guess people are going to be daredevils now and then, but there’s really no reason to misuse a knife that way when there are dozens of blunt things in kitchens you could crush garlic with. The bottom of a cup or a saucer or a plate. One saucer that fits into another saucer. A cast iron pan. Your fingers. A potato masher.

Promise me, son,
not to do the things I’ve done,
slice your thumb
while crushing garlic with the flat of a knife.

2 Likes

I’ve seen several essays/videos on how to cut an avocado properly. What I want is a video showing how these people cut themselves while cutting an avocado. Seriously, I can’t imagine how it could be done unless one is really, really careless. Or trying to cut one’s self.