How to decapitate strawberries with the push of a button

Any time I saved on hulling strawberries would be more than lost by the extra time wasted looking for the damn thing in the drawer. Add in a compound effect of an additional bit of clutter in the drawer wasting incrementally more time every time I look for the ice cream scoop, lemon zester, wine opener, etc etc. and it is a net time waster.

3 Likes

Mark, Mark, Mark, I love your passion for having the makings for meals in your hands but I think you’re a sucker (in the nicest way) for gadgets. I love gadgets, too, but they can get in the way with a real hands on experience with the creative part of cooking. Get in touch with your strawberry with a small paring knife and enjoy the process of slicing a tiny cone out of the top.

3 Likes

I just eat the whole thing.

6 Likes

How have I been surviving all these years without such a thing?

Also, is that an affiliate link? There have been questions.

3 Likes

You monster! Is there nothing you won’t do?

3 Likes

I find when strawberries are in season this thing stays in my most recently used cache, the dish drying rack.

1 Like

Is your professional name “Vlad” by any chance?

2 Likes

It looks an awful lot like a butt plug. And then those TEETH appeared…shudder

1 Like

Strawberry hullers. What happened Boing Boing? You used to be cool.

1 Like

You forgot: way faster and leaves more of the strawberry!

I remember sitting at the picnic table hulling flats of strawberries as a kid with that huller - good, simple technology.

Oh thank God! Until now, strawberries were a hellish nightmare!

1 Like

I’m against single-use devices as much as Alton is, except for those that do one thing really well. I’m not sure that this strawberry plucker qualifies for me, but I will say that a mango slicer* is definitely one of those things that justifies its existence for its simplicity and efficiency at slicing mangos.

*not an affiliate link

1 Like

way faster and leaves more of the strawberry!

Not to mention way more ergonomic — the syringe-style grip on the pushbutton plastic contraption is actually rather fiddly and awkward. Notice how the user changes grip position between cutting and twisting?

There are better and worse versions of the little metal huller - the best are heavier stainless steel and have a very slight sharp ‘lip’ around the front edge created by the forming process that shapes the tool. Not quite a sharp blade, but more of an edge than the steel itself provides.

Really, it’s one of those tools that’s been refined to its simplest, highest form. Makes the pushbutton plastic thing look faintly ridiculous.

??

If that contraption peeled at the same time, or cut the two short sides off too, that would be value-added, but slicing down twice with a knife, one on each side of the pit, does exactly the same thing.

And it does look bulky from a storage point of view.

Trust me, it works. Slicing down the side doesn’t cleave close enough to the pit - this thing really just removes the pit from the center and it does it remarkably efficiently. Sure it doesn’t skin it at the same time, but that’s easily done with a paring knife - I filet mine like a fish.

Now that’s a way to eat one’s greens!

I see a different solution: more strawberries!

The cute little huller at the top looks wonderful for a small batch of strawberries.

Once upon a time, I worked in a froyo shop. In the summers, I’d core and slice a whole flat of strawberries every day. For doing that many, in between serving and ringing customers, the little serrated baller thingie is the way to go.

1 Like

You should try making hedgehogs instead.

Cut a cross-hatch in each half without cutting through the peel. Push on the peel to make the mango half go from concave to convex. The nice little squares are now sticking out and can be nibbled on directly or cut off with one swipe of a knife.

3 Likes

I do that with avocado, but never tried it with mango. I’ll give it a try!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.