How to get over a fence like a boss, and also not

I figur you hit the gym, hang with friends, eat right, sleep 8 hours a night, and you will be over that fence in a couple weeks.

2 Likes

The Dunning–Kruger effect is weird. I frequently think, “Surely with something like this, people would have enough self-awareness that they’d recognize they’re not good at it,” but no.

4 Likes

Yeah, Snooker, that’s just walking 'round a table with a stick. Phah!

3 Likes

What’s the matter? Never taken a shortcut before?

3 Likes

Whoa. I don’t play snooker, (here it’s 8 ball in the bars and 9 ball if you’re a hustler, and I’m rubbish at both), but even without knowing the rules, that was incredible!

1 Like

For things like skate/bike tricks, free-running/parkour the failures are immediate and apparent. It takes a ton of grinding to nail a trick or to do it consistently. Comparing it to martial arts is not quite a 1-to-1 because its a different kind of dexterity. I grew up doing karate, i recall one time at a tournament i horribly messed up a kata routine but i breezed through it like i did what i meant to do. I got gold because the judges did not pick up on the fact that i skipped a 3rd of the kata lol.

1 Like

“My God, he’s so fast, I didn’t see his limbs move!”

2 Likes

More like: He didn’t stop so he must really know what he’s doing!

2 Likes

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Unless you’re a freerunner. Then there is no fence.

1 Like

I don’t think I could be a freerunner forever. Settling down with a nice fence who has some self respect is all a poor fence jumper could ask for

3 Likes

I’ve had similar experiences with tournaments.

Watching someone practice iron groin, or casually break a stack of five bricks with their palm without stopping smiling, or run 20 feet along a vertical wall, or pick up a knife off the dinner table and bend it in half by pushing it against their own throat… those are a bit harder to fake.

1 Like

As a non-player of the games, whenever I watch pool or snooker, I’m just amazed as a baseline response, “Wow, they used a stick to hit a ball into a hole with another ball!” Everything else they do that’s actually impressive to players of the games is just magic to me.

1 Like

Tennis? They hit a moving ball with a snow shoe and it goes where they want it?!

Humans are pretty amazing, aren’t they. As my Dad pointed out to me years back, a perfectly ordinary person can pick up a random stone and generally hit a target with it. #PeopleHowTheFuckDoTheyWork

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.