How to make a humane wooden squirrel trap

Hey…here’s an idea, just leave those squirrels be.

4 Likes

They are both gamy meat, lean, lots of small bones. They taste similar, but rabbit is more substantial.

1 Like

People who think it’s bizarre to eat squirrel lead more sheltered lives than they probably realize.

4 Likes

Becoming a squirrel master is the path of greater strength

I like too make a forcemeat of the rib meat (like sausage), bone out the thigh bone and stuff it in there. Then I stand it up (with the lower leg) in the oven, and serve it with…some sauce, and the tenders cut in hockey-pucks. It makes a nice presentation. I often serve bunny. I like bunny.

It sounds like the squirrel stew would benefit from some cream, being gamey and all.
I’ve heard it said that squirrel is yummy.

Thank you for your response.

2 Likes

I don’t think they have any squirrel recipes, but just on the general theme of traditional North American cookery:

Lotsa funky stuff.

Yep. Add cream to the stock, and throw in some mustard and paprika into the mix.

Serve with cheese dumplings or biscuits… Preferably, either of them should be cornmeal.

1 Like

Oh, sorry, I was looking for

How to make a squirrelly wooden human trap

3 Likes

If you don’t get to the trap fairly quickly, they are going to chew through it. And what is their issue with squirrels? Squirrels are nice. Except when they are rabid. Then they make horrible squealing sounds and attack your children and pets. I also know from experience that you cannot trap them when they are rabid.

1 Like

What did humane wooden squirrels ever do to you?

3 Likes

Didn’t we just see a post about a “humane” mouse trap made from a plastic pipe? The “humanity” ends after a few seconds when the poor bugger realizes it’s trapped, panics, pisses itself. How long before you check the trap? Hours? Days? The critter will never survive the trauma. Release it in its dazed and weakened state, it will be instant prey.

Animals don’t exist for our amusement. If there’s a legit reason to remove it from an area, have the decency to dispatch it quickly.

Please never post another one of these horrid traps unless it includes a large living space, dining and recreation options, communications tech, autodoc… OK, yes, I did just watch that movie Passengers.

3 Likes

Well, I’d say that humans who were live-trapped in suburban areas and released into a large forest would probably do slightly worse.

4 Likes

Well…

2 Likes

I regularly trap raccoons and possums, and move them to places where they are less likely to do damage. I always make sure that they have food and water, and keep family units together.

1 Like

Squirrels ate through my garbage cans to get to scraps. I took a hole saw and cut an access hole for them to get in and eat what they wanted. The peace has held for a decade.

3 Likes

The trap has a design flaw, though. The screen on the window is screwed down on the inside - what if the squirrel has a multitool?

3 Likes

From what I’ve seen with them chewing through the plumbing exhaust vent skirts, climbing down the interior of the walls, over to a windowsill, and out through the siding – they are multitools.

Hmm, a couple of days ago BB plugged a belt buckle that is also a multitool - how about a multitool that looks like a squirrel?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.