How to make a humane wooden squirrel trap

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/01/how-to-make-a-humane-wooden-sq.html

1 Like

7 Likes

That is not a squirrel trap, it’s a squirrel cannon!
(check at 2:09)

7 Likes

Obligatory:

7 Likes

Where did he release it? His neighbor’s yard?

Squirrels are smart. They’ll figure out how to use teamwork to defeat this trap.

2 Likes

Came here looking for that! LOL

1 Like

free peanuts!? that little guy knew something was off.

1 Like

So this guy has a hobby of catching squirrels just to release them?

(I guess since there’s such a thing as catch and release fishing, that might make some sense after all.)

8 Likes

First trap your squirrel…

And then what? Under Schedule 9 of the (UK) Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 (amended by the Countryside & Rights of Way Act 2000):

… it is illegal to release a grey squirrel into the wild, or allow one to escape.
This means if you trap one, you are obliged to humanely dispatch it. You must not let it go as this act would be illegal.

6 Likes

Apparently doubles as a wooden squirrel canon.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I have many happy memories of my great grandmother cooking squirrel and dumplings for me.

8 Likes

If the tables were turned, do you think they would be making humane traps for us? I bet they’d go with the kind that has you chewing your own arm off within 48 hours. While they giggle.

5 Likes

For you, your brother Daryl, and your other brother Daryl.

2 Likes

“A 2004 study of grey squirrels who were live-trapped and relocated from suburban areas to a large forest showed that a staggering 97 percent of the squirrels either soon died or disappeared from their release area.”

http://m.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/scrap_the_trap.html

2 Likes

I wouldn’t think trapping a wooden squirrel is likely particularly challenging…

14 Likes

With a really long reload time! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Could be worse. . .

(edit: NSFW warning, a couple seconds of it anyway.)

1 Like

I usually use rabbit in place of the squirrel, but I used to make it with squirrel meat as well.

Do they taste similar?