How to make a minimalist stereo with an old phone and a $20 amp

I was trying to figure out how a rotary phone fit into the project. Even a touchtone phone doesn’t offer much of use to a stereo system.

This isn’t all that minimal. What we have seen is people tossing out their speakers and the rest of their stereo system, and replacing with “docking station” that has puny speakers and intended for close operation. Gone are the ability to play CDs or even cassettes, and no radio. It’s one thing if someone’s starting out and goes with the minimal system, plenty of people used to get by with boomboxes, but tossing out the old is a retro step.

Big speakers will always do well, and they can get by with a cheap small amplifier. It amazes me that some buy “computer speakers” that are junk, rather than buying some speakers and an old stereo receiver at a garage sale for less than the “computer speakers”. The legendary Radio Shack Minimus-7 speakers will do better than low end “computer speakers”, I paid ten for my pair. I’ve seen plenty of other “clones” of those speakers, even cheaper on the used market. Small amplifiers (as in physically small) are less common, but there re plenty of those old stereo receivers, likely from people who “downsized” their stereo systems.

Of course anything with speakers inside could be improved by opening them up and wiring decent speakers to the unit, though, some amplifiers may not be loud enough.

3 Likes

Hipsterville, where the living is simple and the facial hair is fancy.

3 Likes

But doesn’t keeping your minimalist set up on a metal cabinet create lots of vibrating noises?

You could say that

(••)
( •
•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)

they are minimal.

4 Likes

Don’t you subscribe to the newsletter? :wink:

3 Likes

I fixed it!

3 Likes

That’s actually a pretty neat set up. Gives me ideas for something to do with my jurassic $25 laptop I got awhile ago.

1 Like

Liked just on the strength of using lyrics from one of LL’s better songs* in a comment.

*Now I totally need to hear it.

1 Like

If he was really trolling us, he’d have put Monster cables on those suckers.

9 Likes

2 Likes

Yeah you just reminded me of Momus. Thanks and tributes.

1 Like

Do tell!

By the way, have you seen this?

2 Likes

Now that’s some harsh. Oddly enough, I was playing the Philip Glass Ensemble’s Retrospective album (on my wonderfully real stereo; -) as I was loading up BB. Wouldn’t you know, The Grid started playing just as Rob’s article scrolled into view.

(And when I’m done with that album, I’ll listen to Keene’s Satyagraha…or maybe Akhnaten…there’s no knowing what us natural-born Americans will do next!)

not bad at all. I mean, I would have just re-positioned the damn iphone and taken another photo, jeez, guys

3 Likes

I made the remix!

And Koyaanistocksi is amazing. Thank you.

4 Likes

That’s what I did. You have a nice place.

6 Likes

You forgot to link to the appropriate thread

2 Likes

So is this a series about how if you have enough money you can “own nothing,” and still have whatever you want, whenever you want it, with a roof over your head every night?

1 Like

Or you can wait until the same experience is available for 49% off in the BoingBoing Store.

5 Likes