How to make an inside-out grilled cheese sandwich

I was surprised at how much I liked this movie. I think I watched it on a plane and it was really enjoyable.

One thing I learned about making grilled cheese is to spread a thin layer of mayo on the outside of the bread.

Anything can be made anywhere, IMO, it just takes someone that wants to do it and do it right. I have made bagels at home as good as the best I’ve ever had. But it takes work.
We have really good bread down here now. AND pizza. I’ve had pizza all over NYC and there are several guys around here that make pies equal to any of the best ones there. Not only here, but I go to PHX a lot and there are amazing pizzas to be found. Not the least of which from Chris Bianco.
Again, the key is doing it right. I highly doubt that I could find a good taco shop/taqueria in Omaha. But someone could open one there tomorrow just as good as any here in CA.

2 Likes

that room temp butter, not mayo.

Sorry, I didn’t mean from that movie. From another source. Works really well, and I still add a little butter to the pan itself.

1 Like

Yeah I totally agree. I just got married up in Canada and we had tacos catered for the reception. Even though it wasn’t a big city, we found a restaurant run by a couple who are passionate about making LA-style tacos and they did an awesome job even in that unexpected place.

What I meant by fanaticism is more regional snobbery and demands for food to be “pure” or “authentic”… Food is always changing and we should be open to new approaches to even our sacred-cow foods. I just like bitching about sourdough cuz it’s fun :slight_smile:

I’ve discovered there are two kinds of sourdough bread: “real” and “sourdough-flavored”. The former uses only sourdough starter for leavening, the latter has yeast as well, and isn’t as flavorful to my taste. At the local Trader Joe’s they have both kinds stocked next to each other, and I have to read the ingredient list on the label to figure out which is which.

1 Like

There is a difference between grocery store SD and bakery SD. I don’t expect much from a grocery store. They don’t have the means to keep a good starter on hand.

A good bakery, regardless of region, should have a healthy starter for SD on hand.

1 Like

Yea, regional snobbery just for the sake of it is lame.
Someone laughed at me because we were getting Philly cheesesteaks one day at lunch. Till he tried one and knew this guy is legit.

1 Like

We have Melt for all the ridiculous cheese sandwiches.

I still make my own at home - homemade white bread, 2 slices of American from the Amish cheese place, butter.
Cut diagonally.

Mayo on the outside, butter on the inside. I learned this recently and it’s changed my grilled cheese game.

I figured out a while back how to make an open-face grilled-cheese sandwich on a griddle with just one piece of bread, which gets toasted on the griddle and darn near fried in the butter. Goes great with soup.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.