Hypnotic Grilled Cheese Tutorial

This video detailing one of the simplest of all cooking tasks has everything except the @beschizza commentary I crave…

All hail Hypnochow!

Kinda a cheap shot at my childhood there at the end.

3 Likes

I was trying to suss out whether that was deliberately ambiguous.

2 Likes

Except that is how I do it.

2 Likes

“… and you want to be able to eat those tasty cheese bits that fall onto the pan.”

Oh. Do I??

BTW: I’m lactose-intolerant and on (my usual) high-protein, low carb diet. So this video is tearing me apart. I just may crack like a nut and try it.

1 Like

The “You’re doing it all wrong” in the title seems to walk hand-in-hand with Mistress Assumptions “… only much better” jab.

1 Like

tumblr_n0r5y9zz4w1qhp4zio4_250

2 Likes

I don’t think I care for her tone.

Also, she’s doing it wrong. Those skilled in the art will appreciate the importance of squashing the grilled cheese with a heavy pot at the flip. Squashing improves contact with the pan while guaranteeing cheese ejection and nargly (crispy cheese bits) formation.

…What?

I thought it was better to not squash after the flip? Maybe I’m thinking of pancakes?

Definitely pancakes. And hamburgers.

1 Like

(Mostly) ditto. Definitely butter the bread and pre-heat a non-stick pan, but I get away with slices of cheese rather than the grater. (And frankly, those were strawman slices of cheese in the video that looked more like wedges.)

And if you do it slowly (more time, less heat) you don’t need a lid, which means more crunch. And it’s all about the crunch.

2 Likes

She just want to make America grate again.

6 Likes

When I am feeling fancy, I go with garlic butter and parmesan on the outside and a slice of brie in the middle along with the cheddar. The parmesan crisps up into the crunchy crust, the garlic adds a kick of flavour and the brie makes it gooey like processed cheese slices, without resorting to processed cheese slices.

Now I want a grilled cheese.

3 Likes

Alton Brown presented an interesting technique in the new “reloaded” reruns of Good Eats, also involving grated cheese (which is definitely better than the sliced cheese my parents used when I was growing up):

You heat a pair of cast-iron skillets (one slightly smaller than the other) on the stove while grating the cheese, buttering the bread and assembling the sandwich. Then turn off the heat, lubricate the pans with a bit of cooking spray, put the sandwich in the larger pan, and put the smaller pan on top of the sandwich, cooking both sides at once with the residual heat in the pans.

(The lubrication is probably not needed if you have a good season on the lower pan, but definitely recommended on the bottom of the upper pan since the bottom’s not usually used as the cooking surface and so probably is not well-seasoned.)

He also suggests mixing some smoked paprika and other spices in with the grated cheese, which is fantastic.

3 Likes

This made me think of the movie Chef that I watched recently. He used slices and it looks delicious:

1 Like

Love Alton Brown!

2 Likes

Of course, I forgot to mention, when presenting the version with the cast iron pans he was fastidious about referring to it as a griddled cheese sandwich, to avoid confusion with the true grilled variety!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.