How to peel a potato without sacrificing any potato

Same method, different video:

Do they look delicious?

1 Like

Don’t they ALL!

1 Like

They don’t work on USAian spuds, but they’re fine for taters from France.

1 Like

But, when cooked this way the glycoalkaloids (toxic poisons) move from the skin to the insides of the potato. When the potato is raw, they are just in the skin, and easily removed via peeling. Also, while the peel does have more fiber, the business about having more vitamins and minerals is a myth. Overall, it is safest to peel before cooking.

Also, since these glycoalkaloids inhibit the breakdown of the types of anesthesia used during surgery, potatoes should not be consumed for three days before surgery.

2 Likes

Why does he have the right burner on the whole time?

1 Like

I did some googling to figure out whether or not your claim had any basis, and it appears you’re right: Potatoes prolong anesthetic action.

The more you know!

3 Likes

Wow, who knew! Well, not me. Though this source says they’re right UNDER the skin. And that peeled taters should be cooked right away.

In normal tubers, potato glycoalkaloids appear to be concentrated in a small 1.5 mm layer immediately under the skin, therefore, with normal tubers, peeling will remove between 60% – 95% of the glycoalkaloids present. However, if the tubers are very high in glycoalkaloids, peeling will remove only up to 35%, as diffusion into the deeper tissues occurs at higher concentrations. Unfortunately, peeling or slicing also elicits a stress response in the tubers and causes a slow rise in glycoalkaloid levels. If long delays occur before subsequent processing, glycoalkaloids can accumulate.

http://www.foodsafetywatch.org/factsheets/glycoalkaloids/

1 Like

3 Likes

1 Like

according to youtube they do:

also this one seems to remove minimal potato:

I am now going to slowly walk away from youtube
…edit I failed in walking away from youtube:

3 Likes

Next time I’m making 50 pounds of potato salad for the summer reunion, I’m definitely doing the toilet brush method.

Also: Jezus tapdancing christ, the stabilization on that Kenwood peeler video is making me seasick. Why the hell didn’t they do a crop to keep the thing from looking like it’s embedded in jello?

1 Like

That second video is a great reminder of WHY it’s important to wash produce!

I like this crazy Russian hacker.

1 Like

I had some purple potatoes once. Like, purple all the way through & stained your hands like beetroot. They were the potatoiest potatoes ever. Delicious.

You’re awesome. Check this out:

(ha hah, btw)

That’s the video from the previous post that I linked to above

That’s part of the haha aspect.

I love chat potatoes, boiled with a few cloves of garlic until they’re almost falling apart. Drain and stir in that obscene amount of butter. Stir vigorously and the whole thing pretty much melts together with some larger chunks. Top with chopped chives and eat the whole thing yourself.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.