Potato on a lathe

Originally published at: Potato on a lathe | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Cool! The thing he ends up with looks like a mushroom. Now I want mushroom-shaped french fries!

With or without the lath? And what grit do you recommend? I’m embarassed by this, having grown up in potato country (the real potato country, not that Idaho one) but I’ve never heard of sanding a potato.

5 Likes

This is the kind of content I need right now…

But can I ask why he has a couple of boxes of russets just hanging out in his shop?

winona-maths-what

Also… obligs…

17 Likes

Those long thin ribbons of potato though. I wanna fry em.

16 Likes

Me, too! I was thinking a strategically placed fry-o-later could really bring this hobby to the next level.

10 Likes

I look forward to a spirited debate over at Practical Machinist on the value of carbide inserts in home shop potato turning.

4 Likes

Whenever I peel a potato, I am very careful to make nice long strips that I can rub with oil, sprinkle with vinegar and sea salt, and then bake until crispy.

9 Likes

I have a kitchen uni-tasker that is literally an apple lathe. It peels, cores, and slices in one operation and it’s goddam amazing. I have a very prolific apple tree that dumps 200 apples on me in the same two weeks in June every year, and without this thing I’d be lost. Fruit trees are great, except that they happen all at once, which you need to be prepared for.

15 Likes

We have one of these, too. The nerdy kid in me loves using it.

ETA: I also have an antique version, with lots of gears, made in Baltimore.

8 Likes

Potato on a lathe is cool, but when he is letting the peel shoot directly into his mouth my thoughts were:

1. A lathe is never a toy
  2. That beard sticks out and is getting too close to the chuck for comfort
  3. I hope he cleaned the machine oil the cutting tool before starting.
2 Likes

Perhaps he used olive oil?

2 Likes

I salute the profound silliness of that first video (however cruel against potatoes it may be).

SP

It’s a euphemism. 'Nuff said. :wink:

(Also: ‘buffing the spud’.)

I’m so skeptical, yet it also makes sense, yet it didn’t show up in my 5-second urban dictionary search…

3 Likes

(Whistles nonchalantly.)

(Also, perhaps I have sown a seed…)

2 Likes

Potatoes are sown by eye, so…

4 Likes

Don’t tease us like that. Linky to the brand/model?

1. Don’t eat raw potatoes, folks!
2 Likes

Peru?

8 Likes

there is a Peru, Maine, so I’m taking it for the win.

(Note to self: be less USian-centric in my posts!)

5 Likes